• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN M1855 Rifle Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conquerordie

40 Cal
Reaction score
I have this original M1855 rifle musket. It was made at Springfield Arsenal in 1860. Both the lock and the breech are dated 1860. Springfield made about 8,000 the year it was made. The barrel also has the correct eagle and VP marks. Rifle has the correct M1858 rear sight. All parts are original with matching patina except the rammer. That I purchased from Lodgewood. It matches the original exactly and fits the musket nice and tight. Butt plate is engraved with a A over 17 and US. The rifle is all original, not cleaned, and not built up from disassociated parts. Couldn't get a clear pic of the bore, but it rates a 8 or 9 out of 10. All rifling present and no pitting observed.

I'm hoping to trade for another Civil War piece. I'd be interested in the right calvary carbine as I have none of those. I'm looking for a nice original gun, not built up from parts, matching numbers and such. Other Civil War items would be a good trade too. Heck, try me with whatever you have to offer. I'm open to suggestions.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions or offers, or if you need more pics. The average price for these on the dealers sites and GunBroker is over $2000. It's a great piece, but time to let some else enjoy it.

Attachments

• 20230307_132039.jpg
    20230307_132039.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20230307_132054.jpg
    20230307_132054.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_132255.jpg
    20230307_132255.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_132310.jpg
    20230307_132310.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_132126.jpg
    20230307_132126.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_132145.jpg
    20230307_132145.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230307_132205.jpg
    20230307_132205.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice rifle I have a 1863 that is original Springfield. I need the rear leaf sight measurements any chance you can help me out

Tomski I can try to measure later, but lodegwood will sell you a compete rear sight, either new or original. Do you just want to make a leaf yourself?

Yes it's set in the barrel pretty good. I don't want to damage the barrel it's a original full length there hard to come bye

I have an 1863 but mine is shorter. Don’t know why. I guess they made them that way for a reason. I had a guy that made competition barrels for these guns make me one with the double leaf site. The old barrel was shot on the inside.

I have an 1863 but mine is shorter. Don’t know why. I guess they made them that way for a reason. I had a guy that made competition barrels for these guns make me one with the double leaf site. The old barrel was shot on the inside.
Most of the Springfield rifles were made into sport's rifles bye cutting the 3 bands down to 2 bands and those original barrels for the 1860s to1865 the civil war musket barrels are hard to find in good condition and not bent you will pay alot for them. I have a short one it's just collecting dust in my mygun safe 😔

It truly is. It was America's military first rifle to be issued to everyone, not just rifle companies. It brought the US army on par with all the militaries in the world at the time it truly was a modern gun. It was issued to both sides during the Civil War, the only rifle musket that was on the continent when 1st Manassas occurred in 1861. It was the inspiration for the M1861 and M1863, the last of US muzzleloaders. Because it was made in smaller numbers I think it's importance is overlooked. If I dont find a trade, I won't really be too sad to keep it!

It truly is. It was America's military first rifle to be issued to everyone, not just rifle companies. It brought the US army on par with all the militaries in the world at the time it truly was a modern gun. It was issued to both sides during the Civil War, the only rifle musket that was on the continent when 1st Manassas occurred in 1861. It was the inspiration for the M1861 and M1863, the last of US muzzleloaders. Because it was made in smaller numbers I think it's importance is overlooked. If I dont find a trade, I won't really be too sad to keep it!
I concur. It’s importance is overlooked and unfortunately it is not in as much demand for collectors/enthusiasts as other Civil War Infantry Long Arms.

Actually, 1855s are very collectible in the Civil War, reenacting, and N-SSA communities. Good ones are hard to come by, and the rarer rifles can be quite expensive. Even a lone lock can fetch $700-800 any given day. The fact that the barrel, stock, hardware are there, and if all original, $2k is a very realistic price.

First time the us was able to fend off large numbers of Indians was with the 55' in the conflicts of 1855-1858 here in the PNW...that is until red clouds war and fort Phil Kearny

I have had a couple of interesting offers but not the right one yet. Still available. Would like to trade, but will sell for the stated $2000. Feel free to reach out with any trade offers or any info you would like on the M1855.

Bump. Still up for trades. Civil War items would be tops for me, but interesting in flintlock rifles and fowlers, maybe a Sharps repro. ( Shiloh or Pedersoli) or something like a high end defarb like from Lodgewood. Doesn't have to be another firearm when it comes to civil war items. Swords, shells, papers, other gear is all interesting.

BTT. Still hoping to trade for a like value of Civil War items. Would sell for stated $2000. Thanks

BTT. One last bump, switched it to For Sale. $2000 shipped to the lower 48.

BTT

Back up for trades. I like Civil War items, but let me know what you have. Maybe a flintlock musket or rifle, any quality kit, other Percussion guns like mountain rifles. Love for this ole musket to go to someone who will appreciate it. It's shootable, but I just collect them. Let me know what you have, and thanks!

Trade Value: $1800.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back