• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Jaeger Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing the pictures Chris. I appreciate the info. Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about Jaeger rifles but like them a lot. I was going on the description of the rifle in the first post referring to the no. 270 and the sling swivel. At some point and time I'd like to do a military style jaeger rifle.

I didn't realize they made percussion locks in the 18th century. I thought Kaufman's book said that they came along after 1810 and well beyond the Jaeger period. Given Kindig's definition of Golden Era being 1780 to 1820 those were all flintlocks?

The lock has been converted to per-cussed.

It was made as a flintlock. :wink:

I don't know much about Jeagers other than I am really starting to like them. One thing I noticed that i thought would have been different is the trigger gaurd. I thought the trigger gaurd would have been inlet into the stock more rather than just set on there and screwed to the stock. Am I off on that or is it kinda dependent on the builder?

Depends upon the triggerguard itself. The front tangs are always inlet, but the amount they stand out depends upon the triggerguard design. The rear end is often not inlet at all, but still they're thin there, compared to some of the great hulking masses that you often see with modern made triggerguards. :wink:

By the way "Gun #21" (and probably that whole series of guns) in Rifles of Colonial America has a triggerguard that is not inlet for the rear tang.

When the Jaegers got here at the first of the Rev War, They carried their own personal hunting rifles. Between 60 and 90 caliber. It was hard for the Brits to keep up with the different sizes of ball. Starting in 1776 every new Jaeger was issued a rifle. There were several makers but all of them shot the British Carbine ball ( .615 )
So this rifle could have been one of the early
personally owned rifles. It is a fine looking rifle gun.

Back