• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Jaeger Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captjoel

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I once again have the privilage to present photos for my friend Steve Boyleston of a recent acquisition he made of a fine mid 18th century jaeger rifle. I have his notes regarding this historic piece: This Rifle was found at Barn- Estate Sale 10 miles from Nathan Hales Home in Connecticut Oct 15th, after the Hartford Collectors Show. Was in the Family at least 150 years, the house was 1760 period. The Rifle is a period 1740 Hessian Rifle, Walnut Stock. Showing Military use it has the number 207 on the top Butt Plate extension. It has better than normal Hessian Rifle hardware. The overall length is 40 1/2 inches- the Barrel is 26 1/4 inches and is 72 Cal. The Lock is original , very tight in Percussion conversion. The top barrel flat is engraved Jeorje A KIRCHEN, the bottom flat under the muzzle is engraved INRI period to the time the rifle was built. The wooden sliding patchbox cover is original and fits tight.All of the Hardware is heavy patinated brass, the Butt plate is 4 3/4 inches tall and 2 1/8 wide very early. The Horn is one I made, the pouch is by Jerry Rice of Georgia. The rifle is missing the rear strap Button. It has a very thick wrist. The Ramrod is period with a Buffalo Horn Tip. 270 years of History, one lucky find. The Great Pinyone
birdhouse-NewPowderHorn5-24-10014.jpg
birdhouse-NewPowderHorn5-24-10012.jpg

The condition appears to be outstanding: Like it's ready to take out shooting today :nono: (I'm definitely NOT recommending that you do!!)

Thanks for sharing. I'm a bit suprised that there is no entry thimble and the gun is iron mounted.

Tommy, I believe Steve said that all the metal hardware was "heavy patinated brass". The absense of an entry thimble is very interesting!

It's amazing how long these rifles can last if well cared for! 270 years!?!! :thumbsup:

After looking at the pictures again, I can see the brass now. I'd love to do a military jaeger rifle. I had the chance to handle an origional hunting gun (which was also converted to percussion) and was just amazed at the balance. I think they would be just the ticket for hunting here in southern Ohio.

I can't help but keep coming back to these pictures. I am amazed at both the condition and how plain this rifle is. Do you have any pictures of the nose cap area? Is the incise carving in front of the lock mortis area and lock plate the only carving on the gun? I also have noticed that there is no brass on the back of the patch box lid. I'd love to hear more about this rifle.

Amazing to see something that old in that good of condition! :thumbsup:

Given the overall styling of the gun, and particularly the hardware, I would have given it a rather later date of say 1790-1810.

And it is not the least bit unusual to see a German gun with no lower rod pipe. :wink:

Stophel said:
Given the overall styling of the gun, and particularly the hardware, I would have given it a rather later date of say 1790-1810.

yep

Stophel said:

And it is not the least bit unusual to see a German gun with no lower rod pipe. :wink:

Chris, how early can you date these guns without a lower pipe? Would those without an entry pipe been more of something used as a military gun?
Thanks!!

Tommy Bruce said:
Stophel said:

Chris, how early can you date these guns without a lower pipe? Would those without an entry pipe been more of something used as a military gun?
Thanks!!

I see nothing "military" about the gun that is pictured above.

I have a German bird gun from the first quarter of the 18th century with no lower rod pipe. I've seen them throughout the century done this way.
www.photobucket.com/albums/v326/Fatdutchman/Original Flintlocks/SpanishStyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Back