• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original Hawken guns?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Gardner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, this is a real beginner question: how many original Hawken guns exist and are any actually carried in the field. What it cost to buy an actual Hawken?

Don't have an acual number, but there are quite a few out there in museums and private collections. An original would be too valuable to take into the field except under a rare circumstance or controlled environment, of course there may be an occasional collector who wants to be able to say he has made meat with an original Hawken, but this is risky to preservation of the gun. If you are refering to Hawkens from the HAWKEN SHOP, this is an entirely different matter. I do not have any acual prices of antique original Hawkens, but I assure you they are quite expensive, and price is going to vary according to condition, original ownership, and which variation. As best I recall, there are J&S Hawkens, S Hawkens, Gemmer Hawkens, And one other in between S and Gemmer that was very short lived.

Saw the kits offered by the Hawken Shop, but besides the two guns in the advertisement, there are no pictures of their finished products. They look impressive but I wonder how many they have actually made and shipped. Anybody have one?

By the way, they talk about buying the equipment to make these guns but what about the intellectual property? Did they purchace the rights to use the Hawken name exclusivly?

Just curious.

A "know it all" buddy of mine once said that he was amused at how many repro Hawkens there were, considering that the shop records say they built only 371 guns....I never bothered to check on that, but I pass it on for what it is worth. I will say that while a pain in the butt, the guy generally knows what he's talking about. That makes him a bigger pain...hank

Most of the existing records of the Hawken shop ar reproduced in the book "The Hawken Rifle: It"s Place in History" by Charles Hanson Jr. (1979)
He estimated that the J&S Hawken shope built about 2000 guns of all types and that Gemmer and Hoffman may have used the Hawken stamp on many more guns. Several dozen Hawkens are still surviving but I know of no actual count. Most are in private collections and a few in museums. I doubt any are for sale. One may show up at an estate sale sometime.

Horse Dr.

I believe that there are few records of sales of original Hawkens due to a fire.

Back