• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Original Half Stock Plains Rifle By Gilbert And Bales, Penn Yan N.Y.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Original half stock by the above maker. It is stocked in walnut and pretty good condition for it's age.
I think the rifle had a rear peep sight as a hole is there for one. Has rear sight and front bead sight currently
LOP is 13.5" rifle weighs in at 11lbs, barrel is 32 3/4" in length, barrel is 1 1/8" across the flats, bore is good
my muzzle guage reads .40. Lock is by H T Cooper, and is full cock only, and has a unique way of setting
the sear bar on the side of the lock.

I have not fired it, but seems very serviceable 750.00 plus ship

IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3099.JPG
IMG_3100.JPG
IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3102.JPG
IMG_3103.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3105.JPG
IMG_3106.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG

Last edited:
650.00 plus ship

Gilbert and Bales were English immigrants who for many years served the community as gunsmiths and gun manufacturers. Bales remained a bachelor his entire life, but Gilbert (who was an expert woodworker) married Margaret Jane Hallet in 1843; she ran a milliner's business in the house next door at #219. Their son John Gilbert grew up in the gunsmithing trade and kept it up until mass-produced guns made it unprofitable. The guns that Gilbert & Bales made were shotguns, now rare and expensive collector's items.

The Gilbert & Bales business began in what was described as "a little old red building" near the northwest corner of Head and Main Streets; this must have been part of the old Asa Cole tavern buildings on that corner, which were destroyed in a fire many years later that also destroyed the Birdsall works that took over that location.

In 1842 the business was moved to a shop erected near the north line of their property on Main Street. It was a small two-story structure that was sold many years later, after the turn of the century and by a later owner, and removed to a site on Court Street, where it was remodeled into a dwelling, at about the same time as the old Jones house was razed and the new Lake Keuka Floral Co.'s shop replaced it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back