• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original English 1790-ppep sight!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were probably a few guns built with peep sights. There are cross bows that have peep sights from an earlier age. There are always shooters that are looking for an edge and have the money to experiment and there are always gun builders who will do what the customer wants. I am sure that there were thumb hole stocks.

The thing that we historically correct folks have to watch is "was this commonly used" and "when and who used it".

The Hessian Jaegers that were here as part of the British Army often carried their own weapons. So they were shooting short rifled firearms that were up to 90 caliber. That does not mean that all the troops in the British Army had one.

This is an interesting rifle, it did exist, it has been reproduced, it looks neat. If it shows up at an NMLRA shoot it would be disqualified because it is not an open rear sight. I would like to see how that sight does in the shade of a forest on a gloomy day.

Many Klatch

jerry huddleston said:
I'm not so sure the original was this way. What do you all think?

never saw a day-glow front sight on one~ :hmm:

only ones I have seen are the 'tang mounted' ones....
but I DO like the makers wood/metal fit!!!! :surrender:
nice BIGbore rifle.

I'm with Cynthialee on this one. Just because it wan't quite common means that you can't be H/C?

They had peeps, the question is, what did they look like?

I've posted this before...

Circa 1670

1670-PeepSight.jpg

George said:
Where's that from, Claude? Any info on the gun, etc.?
I grabbed the image from a museum web site a long time ago and can't find the info I saved with it. At the time, I remember thinking that the info was credible, but I can't really back it up. Sorry.

kaintuck said:
jerry huddleston said:
I'm not so sure the original was this way. What do you all think?

never saw a day-glow front sight on one~ :hmm:

only ones I have seen are the 'tang mounted' ones....
but I DO like the makers wood/metal fit!!!! :surrender:
nice BIGbore rifle.

is ya read the desciption its not a "day-glow" front site, its a piece of ivory.

i could see rifles like this existing in the latter part of the 18th century but they would have been very rare and custom.

-matt

Many Klatch said:
...If it shows up at an NMLRA shoot it would be disqualified because it is not an open rear sight...
I've glanced over the rules and it appears that this is only partially true. The general guide lines state that the sight is as allowed by the match. There are matches for traditional hunting rifles where only open sights are used; however there are also matches for traditional target rifles, schuetzen matches and open matches, all of which could allow other sights. The blackpowder club at my range allows any sight at our monthly shoots, which would be under the rules of the open match.

"I'm with Cynthialee on this one. Just because it wan't quite common means that you can't be H/C?"

It is just the way the serious PC/HC following plays the game (with respect and diligence to history) if one is not serious about it then the use of the terms PC/HC should not matter. and they should do whatever they please but be cautious of the "label" the apply out of respect to those who are serious about the sport/hobby.

Yes, I think everyone understands these photos are of a newly made rifle however, it professes to be a recreation of a 200 year old rifle.

I suppose we must assume this gun is an accurate recreation of the original ca 1790 gun and does not have additional "additions" added by the builder which were not present on the original.

As for the sight, I don't doubt that the original rifle had something similar.

HC/PC has been hashed over more times than there were guns built. If you like it and it works, great, use it. This one looks like it is both simple and effective with the "ivory" front bead.
Mark

Following the trend of replicas which we have no access to tye original which inspired them is pretty common. I think and all mos require, particularly if a questionable and popular item is evident, this will not change in a heavy historicaly liberal based venue.

10 gauge rifle with those sights , I wouldn't mind betting that the owner of the original gun frequently hunted game that would eat you if you missed. :hmm: :thumbsup:

jerry huddleston said:
What?? Did he say?
:rotf: That's subtle TG speak for... "I don't think people care as much about historical accuracy as I do and it bothers me".

Back