• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Colt's Flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy all.

I have an 1849 Colt's Pocket, and for Christmas received what I believe is either the original, or a contemporary matching powder flask from my stepfather. The gun is a family piece acquired who knows when. Engraved and nickeled. Of course the nickel is now rotten and the barrel key is loose, so no shooty shooty. But, the flask was stopped up with cork for some reason and is slightly smooshed. Nevertheless, the bright armory bluing is still in evidence on the spring, and there was a mere tetch of powder in it. Once I took out the cork I shook a bit of the powder out. Corse stuff.

Anyway, I plan to use the flask as a 4f primer for my Leman flinter as such a rifle wouldn't need be overly old for someone to acquire a similar flask. Basically there is almost enough overlap historically for an old fella with a flint Leman to have this flask.
No advice or anything needed. Just wanted to share this curio.

Attachments

• 20220118_092921.jpg
    20220118_092921.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220118_092929.jpg
    20220118_092929.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220118_092905.jpg
    20220118_092905.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 46
That is a beautiful flask. Does it have "Colt's" written on it?
Not anywhere that I can see. However, I have poured over nearly every extant photo of original Colts and never seen a flask with Colts on it. Most were just ornately stamped like this one. Colt may have subbed out the flasks to a local Connecticut factor.

Back