• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original Civil War musket buck.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a dandy buck taken with a historical firearm....but I'm guessing there is more to the story. I'd love to hear the details of the hunt if you're willing to share.

Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS, Pastor!

That's a dandy buck taken with a historical firearm....but I'm guessing there is more to the story. I'd love to hear the details of the hunt if you're willing to share.

Thank you and CONGRATULATIONS, Pastor!
Thank you for all the congratulations and likes for my musket and the buck.

Really not much of a story, but I'll tell you how it went down. I was just hunting some pretty heavily hunted public land, not really expecting to see anything. Just kind of hanging out in the woods around 10 am, enjoying a bright sunny day, and all of a sudden saw movement off to my left, about 45 yards away. There he was, nibbling on a leafy branch. Just aimed and pulled the trigger, he ran about 40 yards and fell, never out of my sight. My rifle is dead on at 150 yards, about 6" high at 50, and 11" high at 100 yards. Hunted with it for so many years I just automatically adjust my aim for the distance. Didn't make a great shot, hit a little further back and higher than I wanted, but still a thru and thru in the lungs. Didnt even bother to reload, as he collapsed and quit thrashing in easy sight. The drag out of heavy brush was the hard part, not as young as I used to be.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-220754_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201111-220754_Gallery.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 70
I have a friend that hunts with an old Springfield, and has killed countless deer with it. He said in his youth he visited a man who had his walls lined with original CW rifles and sold him one for $25-50 (not sure on the price). He shot the rifle competitively and won a lot on a local level with it.

He said he wasn't meticulous about cleaning back then and the barrel ended up with some heavy pitting and lost accuracy.

A few years ago he decided to refresh the rifling, he made a propper size cutter and went to work. After days of slowly running his cutter through the bore he tested the rifle for accuracy and found his fix had worked, the rifle was a tack driver again.

Our M/L season opens Monday, my friends Springfield will be by his side.

Back