• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flintlock12

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am posting out of curiosity, and the idea that all things are for sale for the right price. Most will tell me to keep this musket, but I have my reasons for possibly selling.

I’ll tell the information I “know” about this musket.

My father loaned this Dublin stamped Brown Bess to The Alamo in 1980. It stayed on display there for decades, until last year I made the move to remove it, as my father had put a clause in his contract with them. It was an extremely hard task bringing this musket out of The Alamo and into my possession. They said it has never been done before and they were extremely upset about losing it, as it was the only example of this model of Brown Bess they had.

I believe it’s a Pattern 1777 Short Land Musket, marked Dublin Castle. I have all of the paperwork from The Alamo.

I can send more photos or specific information if asked.

Attachments

• 6C9B5EBB-D916-49B6-9ABE-20A60C3C77DD.jpeg
    6C9B5EBB-D916-49B6-9ABE-20A60C3C77DD.jpeg
    764.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 36B9C533-0F45-43EA-83D0-82CA936AB61C.jpeg
    36B9C533-0F45-43EA-83D0-82CA936AB61C.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 9CA4FCEC-798E-410E-8B78-923EBC76F4DC.jpeg
    9CA4FCEC-798E-410E-8B78-923EBC76F4DC.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 0
  • 32114EFE-BA3D-4E7D-B68F-EF2254502871.jpeg
    32114EFE-BA3D-4E7D-B68F-EF2254502871.jpeg
    468.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 3EE640E1-286C-405F-B34C-380D49711309.jpeg
    3EE640E1-286C-405F-B34C-380D49711309.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 9D471EEB-8934-4ECE-97F9-1AA7B102DFAF.jpeg
    9D471EEB-8934-4ECE-97F9-1AA7B102DFAF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Yeah I'd post it in the identification help section. See what people say. This isn't the section for identifying antiques. Then open a listing for sale if you so choose

I am uneducated on what the value would be. I am looking for offers or suggestions.
Please read the guidelines and forum rules. If you are seeking active offers, you need to list this under the Classified section. If you are only seeking value, you cannot solicit offers outside of the classifieds.

Personally, I would find an auctiin company that specializes in antique firearms. Poulin's and Rock Island come to mind. It is simply impossible to properly appraise something via a few pictures on the web.

It's been 22 years since I visited the Alamo but I think I remember seeing this Brown Bess. Either that or it looks a lot like the ones on display at colonial Williamsburg. The Brown Bess book has a couple pictures of Dublin Castle locks. If you're looking for comments and opinions you're in the right place, otherwise an appraiser is going to be the best place to consult on a value. That will probably be the best way to decide whether to then list in the classifieds here, send for auction, hold on to it for sentimental value, or display at another museum.

Beautiful piece of American History!! Definitely will bring a boat load of cash if sold, especially with the documentation. Would have no clue, but no doubt would be the "death by wife" money range in my wallet. hahah. All kidding aside a good auction house like was mentioned like Rock Island or an other that will be extremely knowledgeable with firearms so your Brown Bess can be physically examined and properly appraised, then a better decision can be made on it.

Thank you for posting some pics on it and the best of luck with it. I can understand in these times for reasons for parting with it. My opinion (I know everyone has one. lol ) I would keep it. It's not only part of your family's history but also American History.

Hi,
I think you have the real deal, a pattern 1777/79 assembled at Dublin Castle. The rammer is a replacement. As I understand, very few muskets of this pattern were set up at Dublin Castle so it is quite rare. I am not going to suggest any price but the rareness of it should factor in to your price.

dave

Man you’d thought I committed a crime for posting a for sale bess in the classified. Thank y’all who showed interest and I’ll talk to rock island island also. I came here first as I had a thread open when I actually went through the battle of getting it and some good advice was offered.

Man you’d thought I committed a crime for posting a for sale bess in the classified. Thank y’all who showed interest and I’ll talk to rock island island also. I came here first as I had a thread open when I actually went through the battle of getting it and some good advice was offered.
No, there are certain requirements if you put something into Classifieds. One, you need a piece of paper or card in a photo adjacent to the piece plus the date of the photo and your screen name written upon the paper. Two, you need to set a price, not ask a value.

IF you want to know "what's this worth?" then it goes under Smoothbores, since you already know it's a Bess.
If you didn't know what it was, since it's an antique, you could post it under Firearms Identification.

It's now a thread in Smoothbores.

LD

I am posting out of curiosity, and the idea that all things are for sale for the right price. Most will tell me to keep this musket, but I have my reasons for possibly selling.
You brought a historical weapon out of a serious museum where it was on display for decades and you are turning to an online forum because you are curious? Somewhat hard to believe.

I think it's a nice original 1777, but are you inferring it was used at the Alamo? Or just that it was displayed there as you mentioned? The purchaser should buy it for the fact that it's a nice original 1777, but it being on display at the Alamo doesn't add value in my book.

Back