• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

SOLD Original .32 caliber Ohio rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have an original Ohio rifle I purchased a few years ago. It very likely dates to the mid 1850’s. Style and the J&D Little barrel both indicate that it was made in that period…the barrel is a factory made item common at the time.

I can’t make out the signature or match it to any known maker.

I have not refinished it in any way, it appears as I received it with a few exceptions that I will point out.

I did soak the barrel to remove years of grime and grit. This revealed the engraving on the crown, the barrel address, makers signature and the silver front sight.

I did have a local professional builder replace a missing piece of the toe, a small piece of the stock in front of the nipple and we repaired a couple of small live cracks. The nipple and drum were completely encased in old corrosion, that was cleaned off and a new nipple installed.

It’s a .32ish, the bore is coned and mikes .36 but it’s clearly a .32ish. Bore is dark but shootable. The stripes are inked on as was common in that era.

I was really considering having it opened up and relined by Hoyt to a .36 that I could use for turkeys and fun shooting. But, I have other guns for that…so maybe someone here would be interested in this period piece. It really is a time machine.

My guess is that it was a stump gun, a target rifle. Which explains its very good condition. Clearly it had a mild refinish at some time. But you can still see the scrape marks in the wood and strips are still very fresh. Don’t know, but it wasn’t stripped down and shellacked in the 1960’s…I’m sure of that.

$1050 shipped in a wood crate for a trip back to the 1850’s…

Lots of pics in the next post after lunch.

2C6CAB1F-D76E-4D28-AE4F-26B3BA1F9EB9.jpeg
CFD05391-C19A-4DF5-84D2-90BBFD206E88.jpeg
1C35DD87-E0EC-4BB4-BE6A-AED926962495.jpeg

Last edited:
Purchased it from Frontier’s here on the forum. Below is a link to a thread he posted try to find more info on it.

You can see the damage to the toe and the missing wood in front of the drum. The bore is better now after a good soaking.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/j-d-little.117714/
With regards to his comments about the LOP…I am 6’ and 225 and it shoulders just fine for me. Properly mounted it is on your arm above the bicep and supported across the front of your upper body. Very comfortable and it hangs and settles nicely.

Last edited:
Rifle is signed (it’s an odd place for an owner to put his initials.) Just can’t make it out. Tried a new shot with my iPhone 13. But not much better.

Last time I dug into this I found an Ohio guy that made similiar rifles with Little barrels. McQuire was his name I think. He was killed in one of the first battles of the War Between the States. Don’t know if this is his, likely never will be able to ID it for sure.

9DF8D87D-238C-4269-97D3-42ED46EFA660.jpeg

Last edited:
Rifle is signed (it’s an odd place for an owner to put his initials.) Just can’t make it out. Tried a new shot with my iPhone 13. But not much better.

Last time I dug into this I found an Ohio guy that made similiar rifles with Little barrels. McQuire was his name I think. He was killed in one of the first battles of the War Between the States. Don’t know if this is his, likely never will be able to ID it for sure.

View attachment 153475
Looks like N.G.M. To me? Found an archive that lists a N.G. McCullough from Muncie Indiana making percussion rifles back then. Only maker I could find with those initials. But can’t find any examples of his signature.

Looks like N.G.M. To me? Found an archive that lists a N.G. McCullough from Muncie Indiana making percussion rifles back then. Only maker I could find with those initials. But can’t find any examples of his signature.

I never could figure that first letter. Good catch, thank you! Would you PM me a link and any details you have on him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back