• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original 1863 Springfield Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman0125

40 Cal
Reaction score
Is there any way to research the background of an original civil war era 1863 Springfield Musket?

Serial number on the bayonet is 441.

DC6B4E96-4A20-4857-9D14-44DEF91D4115.jpeg

No there isn't unfortunately. Barring family provenance or unless there are corps markings or the soldiers name carved in, there is really no way to tell.

The dates on the barrel and the lock plate will give you the year of manufacture. The name stamped into the plate in front of the hammer will tell you if it was made by Springfield or a contractor. The one pictured is a Type I as it has clamping barrel bands. Later versions had bands retained by springs like a 61 and during the transition some had both clamping bands and springs. There were also variations in the rear sight. Names and initials carved into the stock (specialy CSA) are highly suspect as that practice was frowned upon by the Sargent. The rifles bear no serial numbers and the bayonets didn't either. I can't find any reference that would explain the number 441 on the bayonet as they were just marked US on the top of the blade.

The 441 might be a post war arsenal marking, probably had nothing to do with the war. The date on the lockplate, should match the one on the barrel. Like others mentioned, without specific markings, you'd just have to be happy with knowledge that the gun was made during the civil war, and possibly used in that war. Some of these muskets show up in such good condition, you have to question if they were ever issued. Either way, nice example.

Hawkeye2 is correct. No serial numbers on any of them. Can you get some closer shots of it, your 1863 is a gem!! Barrel bans look like screwed not spring loaded. My 1864 which is sometimes called a 1863 Type 2 is 100% original, here are some points to check on yours which is a real gem in excellent condition!! On the Type 2 the barrel bands are spring loaded. The two pics of the cartouche the fainted stamping is mine which is faint but identifiable and the readable one is what the stamp should be like. The other shots are where identifying marks. The rear site screw is a two hole round screw head and each site plate is stamped with a 3 & 5.

Attachments

• IMG_3457.jpg
    IMG_3457.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.04.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.04.26 PM.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2583.JPG
    IMG_2583.JPG
    889 KB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 10.52.15 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2023-01-28 at 10.52.15 PM.jpg