• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Original 1860's target rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLake

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello All,

You guys (and gals) are all a huge help a few months ago when I needed help with info on a custom flintlock that I bought. I'm hoping to tap into your collective wealth of information again!

I recently purchased this .45 caliber targer rifle that I believe to be original to about 1860. The only markings on it are "D. BLOOM Ganges, Ohio" and four star designson the front of the barrel. I was told that this was possibly a union sniper rifle early in the civil war, before troops were issued any. I find this hard to believe due to the condition that its in, but I'm no historian. It has a single set trigger, with no markings on the lock. I bought it from a gentleman in Michigan, who purchased it from an estate sale in Colorado. I don't have many more details than that, but would love any help that you can provide. Please let me know if any different pictures would help.

Thanks,

Matt https://www.flickr.com/photos/142364761@N03/albums/72157701191142075

Last edited by a moderator:
Flickr says, when I click on your link,

"This is not the page your looking for.
It appears the album you seek doesn't exist".

Could you try to get a link that will work?

To post pictures I've stored on Flickr I open the picture, one at a time in another tab.

Going to that tab, the picture has a bent arrow in the lower right hand area.
Clicking on it opens several options to share the picture with others.

Selecting the BBCode option, I copy it.

When I return here I just "paste" the address in my topic.

One thing I do is to remove some of my name towards the end of the address just to minimize information about me on the web.

FLINTLOCK-PICKS by James, on Flickr

I haven't tried setting up a album and sharing it on the web yet so I can't help you with that.

Lovely piece, a swiss style sheutzen rifle for off hand use, hence the palm rest. I doubt it would have been used during your late dissagreement as a sniper rifle. You would use a paper patched bullet. Have a look in Ned Roberts The Caplock Muzzle Loading Rifle, that will give you all the information to set her back up and going.

I see a percussion schuetzen rifle as evidenced by the palm rest, buttplate, sights, and turned muzzle. Checking the twist might reveal whether it was rifled for ball or bullet.

Back