• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Orginal 1842 Springfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveoko922

40 Cal
Reaction score
Had the chance and i jumped on this old girl. Made in 1850! Hoping someone more knowlegeable then i can tell me about these muskets. Whats it worth if i cleaned it up really well?

Attachments

• received_497458051670621.jpeg
    received_497458051670621.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 95
  • received_850285675924801.jpeg
    received_850285675924801.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 88
  • received_323057722536831.jpeg
    received_323057722536831.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 73
  • received_869812386905033.jpeg
    received_869812386905033.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 66
I could see it selling for around $1000 in that condition. A heavy cleaning would knock it down a couple hundred, maybe $750 to $800.
I agree I will clean the bore and if the nipple will remove clean in the fire channel , disassemble wax the barrel, etc but you don’t want to remove 150 years of patina . That being said you can oil the metal lightly and prevent rust

I agree I will clean the bore and if the nipple will remove clean in the fire channel , disassemble wax the barrel, etc but you don’t want to remove 150 years of patina . That being said you can oil the metal lightly and prevent rust
Ill do exactly this. Thanks

As noted - patina is irreplaceable.

Until they make ' Dr Snurt's WIPE-ON years of use and handling' the easy way to make your gun look old' it's best not to bother at all with the outside of a genuine firearm.

I was reminded of it at a gun auction I attended a few years back, where a beautiful and genuine P58 short rifle had been refinished. It went to its new owner for £350 instead of £1200 - simply because of the 'clean-up.

I don’t think people understand if they’re after something new the best thing to do is just buy a new one. I have a original 1861 William Mason contract Springfield that had its collectibility hurt by most probably a reenactor that decided to polish back to armory bright. It looks nice and shoots fine however 150 years of age was removed.
Also if you’re able to remove the nipple put a little anti seize on the threads. I always remove and clean the apply some Birchwood Casey anti seize for choke tubes when cleaned. As far as the bore I’m not convinced the patina is necessary there I do oil to prevent corrosion and brass brush (with a good range rod!) never with a wooden ramrod! I have seen them pull apart and be a NIGHTMARE to remove!

Don't clean it! My original suffered that fate, albeit for good intentions. My wife and son decided one year to take my 1842 musket to a gunsmith and have it "restored". They paid a lot of money to have it cleaned, refinished and the barrel blued! UGH!!!! I have since "restored" it from the vandalism that happened, but could never get back the old "dirt and grime" (their words) that it had attained over 160+ years of life. I have since, kindly and gently, explained to them why you don't touch someone's stuff, even for what you consider a good reason.

Back