• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oregon gobblers down yet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, season opened this morning. It is mighty chilly here in the Rogue Valley, and I haven't patterned my shottie yet. But would love to hear from other Oregon hunters who have gotten their bird this season. Pix and narrative appreciated!

I know where there are hundreds of birds but they are all being feed buy homeowners in the foothills and access is really a problem, I have access in several places but not where the birds are, I don't think this is what the Dept of Fish & Game had in mind when they introduced them into this state.

I talked to guy at work who's brother and family live outside Roseberg. They got two yesterday. they hunt modern style.
one was 25# and the other 27#. The co worker tells me that they are everywhere in that area.

Also heard tell that the area between Dallas and Sheridan is seeing a lot more this year. Case in point was the 10 birds in the driveway of another coworkers parents sunday morning for easter....had to honk to get them to move out of the way!

Now if the state would just let us use patch and ball.......!

We have a lot here in my little valley, but once again the ex-Californians that own property along the valley floor find the turkeys charming and decorative, and will not abide hunters or guns. It gets discouraging to have to brake for turkeys crossing the road while heading out to scout for gobs on legally accessible land.

We counted 60 crossing a gravel road before we gave up and honked the horn and drive thru them several years ago near hear when headng up to hunt Elk.We talked to evry landowner aropund and no dice on permission to hunt. I imagine a few close friends or family had a good hunting deal going.Half of the dozen or more I saw a few weeks ago from a roof top were big Toms.

I see lots of turkeys in the foothills near here. But they aren't stupid. They hang out in residential areas where you can't hunt and like somebody already mentioned, people feed them. Not only is that illegal but it does no good to the health of wild animals.

I have an invite to a place that doesn't appreciate them poopin on their sidewalks, cars, etc. It wouldn't be really like hunting them, maybe more like pest control but I'd like to shoot one with my 10ga ML.

GW

"I have an invite to a place that doesn't appreciate them poopin on their sidewalks, cars, etc. It wouldn't be really like hunting them, "

Good deal, like you said in many of these situtations it would not be much like hunting, I have walked within ten yards of them in many places where they have pretty much been domesticated.

Back