Ordinance Sgt Star Dimensions

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by Greg Wesley, Sep 22, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2018 #1

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

32 Cal.

I need some help from Ordinance Sgts. I need the dimensions of the star that is above your stripes. I am going to make a set for someone in our battalion. He already has the three stripes on his jacket. A lot cheaper to make them then ordering them. Shipping is as much as the stripes and star, doubling the price.

Pvt. Greg Wesley

55th VA Co. A

2. Sep 24, 2018 #2

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

32 Cal.

Never mind. I winged it and it looks decent.

3. May 18, 2019 #3

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

smoothshooter

50 Cal.

I think the correct word is " Ordnance ".

Common mistake.

4. May 19, 2019 #4

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

There were Official CSA Regulations on the size of chevrons and parts of chevrons, copied directly from U.S. Regulations for the most part, but different sometimes; an example of the latter was the Chevrons for Confederate Marines as to colors.

Having said that, original chevrons found on original uniforms, often differed a whole lot from regulations. For example instead of an entire chevron, often just the stripes were used for Corporals and Sergeants. So Confederate Ordnance Sergeant Chevrons may or may not have had the entire chevron and may only have had the stripes and star and those often would not be exactly to regulation size.

Yr Obt Svt,
    Gus
    First Commanding Officer of Company I, "The Stafford Guards," 47th VA Infantry in the modern reenacting period.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis and Deo Vindice

Irish lad likes this.
  5. Jun 3, 2019 #5

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

32 Cal.

Thank you for the information. I did find wool that looked like a washed out infantry blue. It is a very close match to the old stripes he had on his jacket. What I did was take a picture off the internet, enlarged to size, print, and cut out the star. I have to say that it is extremely close to what is available.

Shot deer likes this.
  6. Jun 3, 2019 #6

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Good for you.

Oh, not to be critical of your choice of color of wool at all, but even though it was not "regulation color," Black Wool was often used to make the stripes on original CS Infantry uniforms as well. This probably because the proper regulation Infantry Blue cloth was not available when they needed to make the chevrons or stripes.

Gus

7. Jun 17, 2019 at 12:38 AM #7

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

Greg Wesley

32 Cal.

If I ever get promoted from pvt, which I really don't need to be or striving for, I would probably make black stripes/chevrons. Making the chevrons look like a battlefield promotion and not sharp/pristine like from a sutler. I like the home spun look.