• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ordered a Pedersoli Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I was going to buy a PedersoliLyman GPR, but a Jeager target version popped up on Gunbroker. So I bought it instead of the GPR.
The Jeager comes with lollipop peep sights and 1/65 twist in 54 caliber.
Any experience stories while I wait for UPS?

I would be most interested to have you give a review after you receive your rifle.

I have a very fine custom made Jaeger but would like a less expensive alternative to knock around the woods with and have looked very hard at the Pedersoli but have never seen one face to face and just can't get myself to spend the money without seeing it myself.
Thanks!

My first “Jaeger” was the Pedersoli with both flint and percussion locks back when they were first offered. Never fired the percussion but the flint was an awesome shooter and seemed like instantaneous ignition. Not much in common with a true Jaeger but I loved it anyway. Sold the Pedersoli to finance my TOTW Jaeger kit. Wish I had kept the Pedersoli.

Does your jaeger look like this? This is my home built rifle.
IMG_1439.jpg

If that version had been available back in the day I would have bought it and not tried the kit Route. I’m jealous. Love the checkering and slow twist barrel. Sigh!

I was going to buy a PedersoliLyman GPR, but a Jeager target version popped up on Gunbroker. So I bought it instead of the GPR.
The Jeager comes with lollipop peep sights and 1/65 twist in 54 caliber.
Any experience stories while I wait for UPS?

So Pedersoli in general sometimes cuts some very precise grooves into barrels, leaving the edges of the lands kinda sharp . Be sure to find and examine the patches from the round ball and check for patch cutting. IF it is cutting patches it's quite often burrs that may be knocked down by scrubbing the barrel with some "green scrubbie pad" pieces found in the dishwashing section of your supermarket. Rarely is it so bad that you have to use lapping compound.

LD

Nice choice. There should be any roughness of the grooves and lands, if there is some of it, it will disappear, shooting.

Go to Capandball on YouTube. He has and shoots for competition the same gun. He has that gun on his Youtube videos.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Mine is nowhere near that nice. It’s my first and last build. I’m not cut out to build a quality muzzleloader and a TOTW kit is far above my pay grade. I believe an 8th grade shop class could’ve done better. Shoots good though and .62 cal is a hoot. And Fritz the cat likes it.
View attachment 81572View attachment 81573View attachment 81574View attachment 81575
I think you're selling your abilities short. I don't see anything wrong with your workmanship. The gun looks fine. Don't think because some professional builder may view your pictures and have issues with them, that you have to downplay your skills. Who gives a **** what people think! Everybody makes mistakes, the pros just make them harder to see.

The pedersoli jaeger to me always looked kind of like a military jaeger rifle, mostly because of the straighter Lockplate Which was seen on most of the revolutionary war military jaegers and British rifles.

Mine is nowhere near that nice. It’s my first and last build. I’m not cut out to build a quality muzzleloader and a TOTW kit is far above my pay grade. I believe an 8th grade shop class could’ve done better. Shoots good though and .62 cal is a hoot. And Fritz the cat likes it.
View attachment 81572View attachment 81573View attachment 81574View attachment 81575
I think you are being too hard on yourself. You did a nice job on that rifle. The finish on the wood and metal looks really good. If it were mine, I would be mighty proud of it.

When I was a kid, in the early sixties, I remember browsing through my dad's gun magazines and seeing full-page ads from gun dealers, mostly showing military surplus arms, but I distinctly remember seeing German and Austrian hunting rifles for sale which looked very much like the rifles shown in this thread, except I believe they were all percussion. They were cheap, too. At the time, they were just considered "old guns" rather than historical artifacts.

Those were the days, right?

Notchy Bob

Back