• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ordered a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle Today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Called and placed an order today for a .32 SMR - told there is a 10 week wait.

I've been shooting a .32 percussion SMR recently and I enjoyed it so much I decided to increase my enjoyment by switching to flintlock! (All of my other rifles are flintlock)

To offset the Kibler purchase, I have a Ruger Old Army in blue that appears to have never been fired - I will post it for sale here tomorrow after I take a few pics.

Fun times coming!

Have you ever built a Kibler before?
No, this will be the first. I built a couple of flintlocks from scratch back in the late 70s early 80s (bought components and did all inletting of the blank stock) and I still shoot both rifles today. I’m looking forward to working on this Kibler!

Ok cool. I’ll be interested to hear how it goes. I’m considering buying my first Kibler. I’ve never built a flintlock before and I’m a little nervous to spend $1075 and end up screwing it up

That’s how I felt the first time I bought a bunch of parts (probably spent @$450 on parts back in late 70’s) I just took my time, made a few mistakes, and turned out a couple of nice rifles. Same feeling when I started woodworking and spent a bunch of money on nice hardwoods! At least now there are so many resources (this forum, YouTube and the internet) to help you along. Back then the only resource I had was the old book “Recreating the American Longrifle” but you use whatever resources are available to you.

I suggest you take the plunge, learn as you go, and I am fairly certain you will have no regrets and will have a rifle that you will be proud to own! You will probably be the only one that will notice any boo-boos you make along the way!

Thanks and I hope you enjoy the experience of building your rifle. Worst case, you mess it up so bad you have to get a new stock for a couple of hunnert dollars and reuse all the other parts to make an even better rifle :doh:

You won't go wrong with a Kibler Kit. All parts are very high quality. I assembled a 45 SMR last spring. Very easy build. I shot it nearly every week at my local club, Very dependable.

I ordered one in .45 the day before you ordered yours. I sent them my own stock blank that I've had on hand for 20+ years. Let us know when your's arrives. I'll do the same.

I just finished my first Kibler SMR this month. (Not really correct for the time frame that interests me most but oh well).

It was super easy to finish with the most time consuming was polishing out all the casting marks etc. from the trigger guard, butt plate and lock parts. I guess some would not go to those lengths but that is something that would bug me if I didn't.
I polished all of it smooth and the small lock parts (top jaw, frizzen etc.) I epoxied to pieces of wood so I could clamp them in the vice by the wood while filing, sanding and polishing. A little heat from a propane torch and the epoxy lets go.
I explain that for the newbies, most old hands do this or similar methods.

I have to say the Kibler kits are amazing to me, I have Chambers and Caywood guns also and I have never seen anything as easy and well fitted as the Kibler out of the box.
If its your first kit and the correct time frame go for it.

Thanks for your input! I am looking forward to finishing this kit. I have built a cuople of flintlocks from schratch using piece parts and it appears the Kibler kits take away a lot of the grunt work! I plan to post pics as I progress.

BEst regards, Gary

I just finished my first Kibler SMR this month. (Not really correct for the time frame that interests me most but oh well).

It was super easy to finish with the most time consuming was polishing out all the casting marks etc. from the trigger guard, butt plate and lock parts. I guess some would not go to those lengths but that is something that would bug me if I didn't.
I polished all of it smooth and the small lock parts (top jaw, frizzen etc.) I epoxied to pieces of wood so I could clamp them in the vice by the wood while filing, sanding and polishing. A little heat from a propane torch and the epoxy lets go.
I explain that for the newbies, most old hands do this or similar methods.

I have to say the Kibler kits are amazing to me, I have Chambers and Caywood guns also and I have never seen anything as easy and well fitted as the Kibler out of the box.
If its your first kit and the correct time frame go for it.

I wish he made a left-handed Colonial. I would be all over it.

Im on 8weeks for my .58 smoothbore colonial. Starting to get antsy lol. I've got a mold and about 100 weighed balls cast and wads and stuff for shot. Still need to buy shot then all I need is the gun. It's been murder waiting lol

Back