Option other than blue or grey?

Discussion in 'Civil War' started by WVAED, Jun 28, 2015.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Jun 11, 2019 #61

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Dragoon’s became Cavalry just before the war. Well yankee 1st and 2nd Dragoon’s became Cavalry, respectively. CSA had no “Dragoon’s”. If the were Cavalry and Dismounted (got off the horse) to fight with long guns, every fourth man held reins of the ponies. The units that were Cavalry then Dismounted to walk everywhere, were designated as such as in one of my ancestors whom I stated before. His documents read Co G, 15th Texas Cavalry (Dismounted).
    Like you said though, Dragoon’s rode to the fight, “usually” fought on foot then re-mounted to ride again. Now, lots of “Mounted Rifles” in CSA. I truly haven’t researched them because my kin were either Infantry, Cavalry or Dismounted Cavalry. I’ve read that the Dismounted Cavalry retained the title Cav in the event they remounted. There was a Texas unit that did but off-hand I can’t remember the unit. I think they were Western Theater though.
    Al

2. Jun 11, 2019 #62

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Union grey, aka pre-war state militias wore grey, north and south. Lots of confusion in early war battles. That’s why the union went with all federal blue. Lol, I wouldn’t want to be mistaken as federal either!!! Kudos to them for being allowed to keep the states militia uniform!!!
    Kinda reverse for Hoods Brigade upon arrival in Chattanooga Sept 63! They were uniformed in new Richmond Depot Type II KERSEY BLUE jackets (British imports almost dark blue in color) and the French Blue trousers that looked almost like yankee sky blue!!! Johnny’s took some potshots at them thinking they were Billy’s!!! Lol luckily no one was hurt!!!

3. Jun 11, 2019 #63

beyu

beyu

beyu

Pilgrim

I SUSPECT, but do not know for certain — that the "Union Grey" was darker and bluer than what was commonly seen in the Confederate Army (as long as they were able to provide uniforms), and darker and bluer than what is seen in the cadet uniforms of West Point.

The Second New Hampshire Union Grey uniforms were also trimmed with red piping. They wore forage caps rather than the "kepi".

4. Jun 11, 2019 #64

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Not sure of the shade either. Pre-war militia and cadet (hence the “cadet grey” shade) units had so many variations. It was mostly per the state, Southern or Northern. I’ve been studying the Confederate uniforms for about five years, fun, but dog gone it could be confusing!!! Lol!! Contrary to hollywierd and popular belief, there was no one certain shade. Like my post earlier, there was a shade that was dang near yankee blue. A pair of similar color trousers were recently discovered in a museum. One of the best references out there is Frederick Adolphus, his research is free online. He’s actually given me advice on what my ancestors were probably wearing while they were with Cleburne. The Confederates, especially in western theaters and AOT mixed civilian attire with uniforms. Many letters exist of soldiers writing home requesting homespun garments. Another option early in the war was the commutation system. Local produced uniforms for men serving from the local area, or “regulation” uniforms made by individual families and sent to their loved one.
    I’m sorry for forgetting the gentleman here who stated on another topic, about a homemade uniform he made, all hand stitched. He wore it as a LH presenter in GA. THAT would be an excellent example of a commutation uniform.
    I think we got off topic....
    Al

5. Jun 11, 2019 #65

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

8EC3D829-FCA3-4584-9EA9-8A5BD87BCA62.jpeg Im going to try and attempt to attach a photo of a CSMC impression wearing the Kersey blue jacket
    It worked!!! Lol

Artificer likes this.
  6. Jun 11, 2019 #66

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

32 Cal.

I finally got into my old Corn-fed-erate uniform. I have gained some weight since the last time I put it on, lol. I've also included a photo of the interior of the pants to give you an idea of what flat felding a seam looks like. This is my old butternut uniform I had previously mentioned. The shirt I had on was made from a white bed sheet that I hand stitched. It seems that the ladies of the period were quite adept at being seamstresses. I found this out when I was able to see some close up examples of their work in a museum. A close up of my confederate grey bowler hat can be seen in another thread, "forming a felt hat". The hat is hand stitched as well with a liner on the inside. I even had a story about the buttons on my jacket. There are two wooden buttons that I hand made as well as 3 CS buttons and one yankee button that the dead yankee no longer needed...
    IMG_2920.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2921.JPG IMG_2926.JPG

Artificer likes this.
  7. Jun 11, 2019 #67

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

THAT is an excellent version of a commutation uniform!! Selling?!

8. Jun 11, 2019 #68

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

32 Cal.

No, I don't think I'll sell it--the pants you would not be able to afford, lol! It took nearly a year to get those hand stitched. I guess I'll keep the uniform for memories sake, of when I used to do the War of Northern Aggression. I was also a tour guide in Jonesboro, GA, doing a 3 hour tour of Gone With the Wind, since Jonesboro was the place of Margaret Mitchell's kin folks. Most of the stories in GWTW were based on true events that happened in and around Jonesboro, GA, especially during the battle of Atlanta and Jonesboro. I also have 3 frock coats and a civilian attire for when I visit my old buddies at the re-enactment of the battle of Jonesboro. Of course I can always dress the part when I visit. Should I decide to sell it, you will be at the top of the list, for sure!

YellowthornofTexas likes this.
  9. Jun 11, 2019 #69

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

Stantheman86

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm interested now in hearing about the Militia unit that wore Revolutionary War era Uniforms.....even if they were "old stock" from the 1790s that puts them at 70 years old. That would be like a National Guard unit wearing WWII uniforms :)

10. Jun 11, 2019 #70

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

We have quite a few newcomers on the forum so I will interrupt this topic for a minute to point out, the forum rules say members cannot make offers to buy or to sell things in the general forum areas.

Offers to buy or sell can only be made in the Classified Ad section or, by making a PM (now called a Conversation) to the person.

Now, back to the Option other than blue topic. :)

11. Jun 11, 2019 #71

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Although I read a bit about the military and the American wars uniforms and the difference between year to year and group to group have never grabbed my interest too much.
    However I understood that between the war of 1812 and the WTBS blue was color of the federal army while grey was chosen for state raised troops.
    Grey uniforms seem to have been the norm for state regiments during the Mexican war and blue for national forces.
    I have been told this also by historic guides at several military parks.
    I’ve not researched it but just toss it in to the discussion.

12. Jun 11, 2019 #72

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Mosta my kin fought AOT and fought the Atlanta campaign. Six brothers/cousins, Martins from Hill Co. One is buried in Atlanta.

13. Jun 11, 2019 #73

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Only one that comes to mind is outta New Orleans. I think...lol

14. Jun 11, 2019 #74

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

Oops! My bad!!! My apologies!! It wasn’t meant as it sounded. Lol it was meant more as a general statement!! We’ll follow the rules.

15. Jun 11, 2019 #75

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

More or less you are correct. There were a few State and even one federal Regiment that wore grey shell jackets in the early years.
    Let me do some digging.....not literally...

16. Jun 11, 2019 #76

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

173B5042-4EA0-494E-93E2-A1CEBE5D3439.jpeg Well heck!! The one I’m looking for was I believe the U.S. 6th Regiment that wore a grey shell jacket. The attached is a militiaman uniform. Early 1800’s

17. Jun 11, 2019 #77

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal

A35F859A-BBF9-46A7-83BB-421EECF618C3.jpeg HA! I knew I’d find it!!! 6th U.S. Infantry Regiment!
    The 6th U.S. Infantry Regiment at the Battle of Chippewa wore the gray fatigue jacket, normally used by state militias, instead of the blue tailcoats of the regular army. This caused the British to mistake them for militia, and underestimate their prowess at arms. The American army's use of gray uniforms began about this time. Image courtesy of the U.S. Army.

Artificer likes this.
  18. Jun 12, 2019 at 3:22 AM #78

beyu

beyu

beyu

Pilgrim

New Hampshire was the only New England state that had no established militia at the start of the Civil War. When Lincoln issued his call upon the states for troops, N.H. had to start from scratch; find officers, recruit men, decide on uniforms and procure them, buy wagons and teams of horses for the baggage train — and last but not least; find weapons. The best they could find was .69 cal. smoothbores loading buck and ball. I'm guessing the muskets were most likely Model 1842. These were replaced early in 1862 with .58 cal Springfields.

When the Second Regt. marched through Baltimore with fixed bayonets in May 1861, they attracted favorable comments from other regiments because of the fine quality of their equipment. BTW, they fixed their bayonets because a Massachusetts regiment had been attacked by a pro secessionist mob the month before.

19. Jun 12, 2019 at 1:47 PM #79

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

"Those are not Militia! Those are REGULARS, BY GOD!!"

Statement attributed to the British Commander during the battle.

Gus

P.S. In the period of the painting, those "fatigue coats" were known as "Roundabouts."

Gus

20. Jun 12, 2019 at 1:49 PM #80

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

YellowthornofTexas

32 Cal