• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Optimal target ball size

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notremor

32 Cal.
Reaction score
What would you consider the optimal caliber round ball for accuracy at 100 yards (or maybe its all the marksman)? It only needs to go through paper so KE is not an issue. Thanks. TLD.

I would say a 4 1/2 inch cannon ball should take out the "X" ring of the paper...
grin.gif

Seriously, I think the the .45 or .50 caliber would be the better choices, a lot of the target rifles described in the Ted Roberts book "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" are .45 caliber.

They mostly shot bullets at 1000 yard targets, but the bulk of them were .45 calibers, some as low as .38, others as high as .56 calibers.

If I had to pick one, I'd pick the .45 caliber, I think you could get a slightly flatter trajectory with the lighter ball...

Assuming your talking about a patched round ball, I would say a .50 cal at 100 yards. They are not as hard on your shoulder as a .54 and are less subject to wind drift than a .45 or smaller.

According to tests run by Sam Fadala, the .54 holds its velocity and trajectory better than the .50 or .58 or larger, due to weight and air resistance. By his tests the .54 would be the optimal RB for 100yd shooting if trajectory and retained energy is a factor. The smaller balls lose velocity from lack of weight, and the heavier balls lose velocity from having more weight and air resistance. According to Sam's testing. Personally, I do not think you would have any problem with a .50, if that is what you decided on.

From everything I've read, an awful lot of match competitions are shot and won with the .40cal.

If you have the luxury of multiple rifles in different calibers, you might find one of them shoots more accurately than the others regardless of caliber so that another approach.

Also, shooting the larger calibers usually means a little more expense, a little more recoil, etc.

Sound advice from all I guess. I opt for .54 for the same reasons stated.

But( there is always a BUT). BEWARE of the man that shoots only one rifle ! He shoots it more and is more cognizent of what it will do over a wider range of targets. He knows that rifle better than when switching between several.

I'll weigh in with TwoShadows on this. Larger bullets are also less effected by cross-winds or puffs and gusts. Under bench target conditions it doesn't matter so much, but in the real world where ranges are uncontrolled and varried the shooter who is using a rifle totally familiar to them will have the advantage. BUT, if you're firing a string of 100 shots in an afternoon and want to use a flat-shooting full-house load the .54 will test your concentration (and shoulder). I very seldom shoot anything but standing offhand lately, so I don't mind the recoil much.

And my current squirrels-to-whitetails rifle is a .54 so I am very biased.

Latest posts

Back