• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opions appreciated.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a 36,,40,,and 54 all percusion. I got flintlock on the brain now. So my question is should I build a 32 or 36. I think I want a 32 and I've owned one and know all cautions of breaking the rod and fowling. I've not had those problems. Oh yes one more question. I've beat my brains out trying to figure the style and I like the late Lancaster
My other choices are Armstrong and Dickert but Late Lancaster has my vote for now.
Thankyou for your thoughts and help in the decision

I have a .32 that I don't shoot a lot, nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't measure up. I'm working on a .36 to replace the one I so foolishly traded away. I really liked shooting and hunting with it, great all around small game caliber.
Style? well everybody's got their likes and dislikes, mine will be a light, long and lean, Lehigh type.
Robby

If you've made up your mind that you're going to build one, then you should build the gun that YOU are going to find the most rewarding! The whole thing about a build, to my mind, is that you're building something that you find personally rewarding in some way. Build it the way YOU want it to look and feel in YOUR hands! Have at it, brother.....

Well, you don't have a .45 or .50....... Might as well round out the stable!

What are you going to use it for and what will you enjoy shooting most? Large game, target shooting, small/medium game, plinking?

Although it looks like you have a liking for the Lancaster school, I'll put in a vote for Buck's County--there is something about those rifles that epitomizes grace and style to me. YMMV

I get it - you already know what you want - you ust need to talk about it here. I do that too, lol. You already have a 36 and a 40. How do you like them? The ignition style won't change the terminal performance. If you have a hankerin' for a 32, then get one... As others said, style is up to you. What do you like? We can't help you there.

RCHAS I'm not set on lancaster yet. I keep looking at pics. I like more drop than not at the heel.
I also want a butt plate that is octagon on top. I don't like a flat butt plate but almost. Slight curve in butt plate is good.Where tge comb enters the wrist I like it pronounced not just a sloped in that you can't really see the comb much.Im planning on a nice patch box with release in top of butt plate.Some inlays. Maybe some lines cut in from trigger area to but. Maybe a wrist inlay. Dickert is nice but I keep seeing different pics. One Dickerson shows slightly curve butt plate the next may be flat. I'm going to try to find pics of Bucks Co.

I have two SMR at present. One is a .32, the other is a .36. I love the SMR architecture and think it goes great with either caliber. As far as which caliber it's a toss-up.

I think you should get a smoothbore..😎

One sight is easier too see than two… if that matters.👍

I like a 36. It’s big enough to take on most anything if you absolutely had to. **** placement and range… In my opinion, there isn’t anything more beautiful than a southern style Appalachian rifle.

Think I would go with the .36... except that you already have one. A .32 is a great squirrel gun, but that's just about all it is good for as far as a hunting rifle. A .36 can still shoot squirrels/rabbits, but also larger game like coyotes, raccoons, foxes, etc. The jury is still out, but I have done just a little experimentation with paper-patched .357/.358 pistol bullets in my T/C Seneca .36... which would add to it's versatility.

In a nutshell, if you already have a .36, then you don't really need another one and you don't especially need a .32 either as anything that a .32 can do a .36 can do better. You didn't mention having a .45... which is one to consider. I'd also consider a smoothbore... which is something I AM considering.

All that said, you build what you want. Sorry, I have no opinion on the style of rifle you might like... that would be like telling you what sort of woman to marry and most men keep their own counsel on those kind of subjects. ;)

Think I would go with the .36... except that you already have one. A .32 is a great squirrel gun, but that's just about all it is good for as far as a hunting rifle. A .36 can still shoot squirrels/rabbits, but also larger game like coyotes, raccoons, foxes, etc. The jury is still out, but I have done just a little experimentation with paper-patched .357/.358 pistol bullets in my T/C Seneca .36... which would add to it's versatility.

In a nutshell, if you already have a .36, then you don't really need another one and you don't especially need a .32 either as anything that a .32 can do a .36 can do better. You didn't mention having a .45... which is one to consider. I'd also consider a smoothbore... which is something I AM considering.

All that said, you build what you want. Sorry, I have no opinion on the style of rifle you might like... that would be like telling you what sort of woman to marry and most men keep their own counsel on those kind of subjects. ;)

thanks Dale Allen Ray. ,I do have the 40. I just like a 32 for a dedicated squirrel gun. 36 would be ok even though I got one. Just want a flintlock. I think a 32 and a 69 cal fowler would set me up. That would leave me wanting a 50 and 45.lol

I have a .36 flinter that is extremely accurate. If I had my druthers, I would have a .40. Several of the world champions have used .40. Arkansas regulations says I can't use a .40 for squirrel. Strange, I can use a .40 for deer and rabbit. I can't use .40 for squirrel? Duh!

Ya v that's kinda silly. Maybe I should go 36 instead of 32. Want a flintlock and something about that little round ball is just cool. What barrel does your 36 have on it?

The one thing actually two things I've found out with the three .32's that I have shot are...... The rifling needs to be wider than the lands. I had one barrel with narrow rifling grooves and it was a bugger to get to shoot well. The other thing is all of the barrels liked very thin lube on the patches. Any lube that was thick like tallow or even bare oil would produce poor groups.

Latest posts

Back