• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinions on Pedersoli Trade Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where’s the proof? 🤣

All Indian made guns entering Europe, the UK in particular, by law must be proofed. He didn't say that every gun they manufacture for World wide distribution is proofed, just that India made guns shipped for use in Europe are proofed by a proofing house. I don't know what percentage of the India made muzzleloaders is that do not pass muster and are rejected/fail when going through the proofing process in the UK, but it would be interesting to find out.

Here is an excerpt from an article at Henrykrank.com Shooting With A Repro Indian Brown Bess

Quality of the Indian Brown Bess Muzzleloader
I feel at this point some attention should be given to the quality of the Indian reproduction in relation to the Italian offerings. Much has been written online, mainly from American sources, as to the quality of Indian guns. Guns sold in America are not subject to proofing laws, and it can take only one failure out of ten thousand to ruin the reputation of a gun.

Conversely, all guns sold in the UK must be proofed, so any guns that may be of sub-par quality are weeded out long before they get to market. In any instance, I have handled innumerable reproduction Brown Besses and other guns of Indian manufacture, and can only recall one in my experience that failed.

All Indian made guns entering Europe, the UK in particular, by law must be proofed.

UH, not quite.
ONLY if the touch hole is drilled. Undrilled they are considered "wall hangers". Drill the touch hole out and neglect to have the gun proofed, and there is a hefty hefty fine. The same is true in Germany as well, and the German proofing specifies the size of the touch hole. IF it's too large, it fails without being test fired.

LD

UH, not quite.
ONLY if the touch hole is drilled. Undrilled they are considered "wall hangers". Drill the touch hole out and neglect to have the gun proofed, and there is a hefty hefty fine. The same is true in Germany as well, and the German proofing specifies the size of the touch hole. IF it's too large, it fails without being test fired.

LD
Understand fully, I guess I should have stated "Functioning Firearm", as I already knew that and didn't think I had to state it as we were speaking of functioning replicas. That's why a dealer in Canada can ship the Indian guns into the US without any restrictions "In a Non-Firing State" "Vent Not Drilled" " A certified gunsmith may decide to alter a musket or pistol to a firing state by drilling the vent hole and test firing it".

Actually from Canada they can ship a fully functional, reenactor ready (has a flash guard) musket into the USA.... they simply ship it in two boxes, one with the musket, one with the lock, since it's disassembled under Canadian postal law, not firearms law. ;)

Military Heritage does a lot of business, I'm told, with Europe, and there are a lot of different laws in each country, and apparently a lot of folks who want a wall hanger, so they don't drill touch holes.

LD

Among my collection of SmokePoles, I have 3 India Made firearms.

2 of these firearms are pretty good, considering the price that was paid. That being said, each of these guns required some level of minor modification and tinkering to bring their performance to a level that I would enjoy taking it into the field. 1 of the guns is an 11 gauge percussion half stock…and is actually of such fine manufacturing, that at first I thought it had been mis-identified as being India Made.

The 3rd and remaining firearm is what I would describe as a poorly completed kit. The metal parts are solid, the stock is a fricken nightmare. The drop in the stock is so shallow, it’s like shooting a 2X4. Given a new stock design, and using the original parts, this firearm could be made into a very nice usable firearm.

I have shot these firearms on multiple occasions, and found them to be very usable, enjoyable, and safe to use in the field. The blackpowder community’s dislike, bordering on hate, for India Made firearms has steered me away from these products for years. Since buying these firearms, both my perspective & opinion has changed dramatically towards the positive.

After buying and using these guns, I have come to view India Made firearms as essentially In-The-White kit-guns. Buy these products with the understanding/expectation that there will be minor items to be addressed and tinkering will probably be needed. If you get an India Made firearm that needs no tinkering…enjoy.

Last edited:
@smoothshooter, the India manufactured guns are not subject to proof testing until the touch holes are drilled. Until the touch hole is present, a gun without a touch hole is a wall decorator and not a firearm that requires roof testing.
That’s what I figured.
No vent holekeeps the gun from being classified as a firearm in most gun-unfriendly countries, and eases import/export restrictions.

If it were myself buy the kit version of Pedersoli musket or rifle you want. You will save $200 or more. It's just sanding, staining, touch up bluing and maybe one hole to drill. They do 90% of the work for you. I built a scout rifle kit from them. The Indian muskets from what I read the locks and barrel quality range from fair to dangerous.

Back