• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on Pedersoli Trade Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I'm looking for opinions on thr Pedersoli Trade Gun, 20 gauge, flintlock, from those that own them. I think I'm ready to "pull the trigger" on my first flintlock and this one seems affordable and of reasonably good quality. HC is not an important factor, rather, I need to know is the gun reliable? Good lock that sparks well? reasonably accurate with PRB? I know this isn't a Kibler, but it is affordable. I look forward to your remarks!

Check out Black Powder Maniac Shooter. He has some videos on this site as well as YouTube. In many of the videos he is using a Pedersoli Trade Gun. Seems like it works pretty well for him! I have no first hand experience with the gun but have researched it quite a bit as I have a interest in trade guns and Northwest trade guns in particular. Aside from it not being an exact replica as you already stated I have heard good things about it overall. No it is not in the same league as a North Star West in quality or authenticity but for the price is a solid gun, and good luck even finding a North Star West Trade Gun. From what I have heard some say the Pedersoli lock works fine but will benefit from a tune up to make it a bit quicker and some have said the frozen is a bit soft. However most say that it shoots great as is! There aren't many options for a factory made Northwest Trade Gun and Pedersoli has a good reputation for quality and customer service. I say go for it, if you can find one most places I have seen are out of stock. Good luck. đź‘Ť

Hello all! I'm looking for opinions on thr Pedersoli Trade Gun, 20 gauge, flintlock, from those that own them. I think I'm ready to "pull the trigger" on my first flintlock and this one seems affordable and of reasonably good quality. HC is not an important factor, rather, I need to know is the gun reliable? Good lock that sparks well? reasonably accurate with PRB? I know this isn't a Kibler, but it is affordable. I look forward to your remarks!
All Pedersoli guns seem to have a high quality reputation. You came to the right place for some comments on this gun, as I'm sure you'll get several specific replies. (I don't have this particular one.)

I bought the Pedersoli Trade Gun Kit back in August 2021, and love it. Here is a link to a previous post about it along with a photo album link which carries you from start to finish in post #7.
Pedersoli Indian Trade Gun Kit

Just checked Dixie Gun Works site and they still have the Pedersoli kits in stock. They are not listed as Pedersoli and that is why I believe they still have the kits when no one else does. They just have it listed as FK3370 INDIAN TRADE MUSKET KIT
FK3370 INDIAN TRADE MUSKET KIT
Coat Coon Musket.jpg

Last edited:
Nobody wants to hear this …. I was going to get one but couldn’t find one so I took a chance and got the Military Heritage Chief’s Trade Gun…..
Love it!!!
Tinkered with it to get it where I wanted..(had to do the same with my Pedersoli Pennsylvania)

I absolutely love my trade gun! As a 20 gauge I have taken 2 turkeys with it so far. One shot and dead! Last year at the Wyoming state Trap and Skeet championships I took 2nd place. and then at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous I took 2nd in the trap shoot. It does not like the size of flint it calls for. Had to drop to a 7/8" flint. Now it goes boom 99.9% of the time on the first try. Haven't found an accurate 50 yard load with the .600 ball ....yet. Getting there though. At 25 yards it shoots hole on hole. Great looking gun with real nice wood to metal finish. Highly recommend.

Attachments

• 33FAF202-8732-46E0-8E0D-27D47DCCF33F.jpeg
    33FAF202-8732-46E0-8E0D-27D47DCCF33F.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 38
Mine came from the factory with two flaws. One of the ramrod thimbles was held in place by a sliver of wood, because the hole for the pin was improperly drilled, AND the hardening of the frizzen was less than I'd expect, it was at an angle instead of the whole frizzen... you could see the hardening line, :confused:

As for engineering, Pedersoli uses their not uncommon practice of securing the lock with a lock bolt, AND a wood screw (just forward of the frizzen spring). So you must be careful that you don't over tighten this and strip out the wood. Pedersoli does the same thing with the Frontier rifle.

As for "durable and proven" well that's on a gun by gun basis, and I don't think the Pandemic has helped the situation. The Pedersoli Trade Musket will work well for hunting birds, and may be accurate for hunting deer, but you wont' know until you own it and try it.

LD

Last edited:
If you want a gun with dubious metallurgy for lock parts that could wear out easily, with no replacements available as they’re custom made, get an Indian gun.

If you want a reliable, durable, and proven gun that is proofed in Europe, get the Pedersoli.
Indian guns are proofed in Europe. Also.

What I found in my research prior to buying my India made musket was that they are hated by those who have Custom or Pedersoli guns But the people who have them love them and are amused by the haters….
Now that I actually own one as well as a Pedersoli and an old CVA Hawkens….
I fall into the amused category.

Back