• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions on older Traditions Ardesa Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Came across what is supposed to be a new in the box Traditions Hawken. This is the two keyed model with long tang and a couple of inlays on the shooter's side, same as comes up when searched as Ardesa. Haven't seen the bore but was told it is out of an estate. I could probably get it for $250. Don't need it but wondered if these were a bit better quality than the older single key guns. Oh, .50 caliber. Thanks in advance.

1CA7FD50-8306-4407-8567-EC683F8F7D72.jpeg F5CC9B7F-3A08-4159-AE60-5377A064E4A9.jpeg 7627AB58-AD1A-482F-B823-5E6A71816588.jpeg 1F39CA3A-2840-4D3D-9EF6-FC5D02138FD3.jpeg 9BA1E472-20EB-4730-BFDF-08CE741C2B78.jpeg 08257B42-5549-451D-B3A6-BA23DE32A43D.jpeg 1CA7FD50-8306-4407-8567-EC683F8F7D72.jpeg Here is one I picked up from somewhere a few years back??

Anyway, this one is a .54 Ardesa Hawken. Quality is descent on this one. Can’t really say anything negative about it ?? It’s solidly built. I’d compare it to a descent CVA Mountain Rifle in quality. It is what it is though!

Can’t really comment on how she shoots? Never shot it. Bought and put away.

To answer your original question? If the one you’re looking at is in descent shape, I’d definitely buy it for $250 !!

Respectfully, Cowboy

I agree with Cowboy. If close to his in quality and condition I'd grab it if in the market.

Cowboy....you could be more useful in answering these questions if ya had shot all the rifles yer hordin! JK, I have a new traditions Tennessee I have had for 2-3 years and have not fired yet LOL.

I agree!! They have show’s on TV for people like us! lol

Respectfully, Cowboy :horseback:
Yeah, I could put it next to the Great Plains Rifle that I haven't shot yet. Do you think they'd pay us on those shows? Back on topic, I'll see it again tomorrow. Looks just like the one above, although I'd say his has better wood. Thanks, guys!

I have one also. It was given to me but in bad shape. I had to put an oversize nipple in it, make a ramrod, make ramrod thimbles, strip the outside of the barrel and draw file most of the pits out and patch broken wood. I then browned the lock plate and barrel. The inside of the barrel was a total mess with rust and pitting. I spent the better part of a week trying to get it shootable and succeeded albeit there are still some pits that you can feel. Even with all of that, I loaded it and shot it with 50 grains of 2f and it shot exactly where I was aiming at 50 yards. I cleaned it and put it away. I would pay 250 for one in good shape. It looks exactly like Cowboy's gun but a .50 caliber. Well, maybe not exactly like his, his looks new!

Waited to haggle at the end of show yesterday. Guy only wanted to knock $25 off. Still not a bad price but decided I just didn't need it, having a GPR and a couple T/C's I need to actually shoot. I forgot my light but was able to see about a half inch into the muzzle which looked clean. Noticed the cup of the ramrod tip looked a bit black. Scratched it with my fingernail and some soot came off, so, while clean, weren't NIB. Let somebody else enjoy it.

Thanks for sharing with us my friend! We always appreciate the conclusion to one’s Topic/Thread they share. If the gentleman stated that it was supposed to be NIB and you found residue on the end of the ramrod tip? Definitely a Red Flag!!

Can’t really say if it would have been a good deal or not?? I will say that I do admire your reasoning and sound judgment though!!!

Again, thank you for the thread and also the final conclusion.

Respectfully, Cowboy

View attachment 637 View attachment 638 View attachment 639 View attachment 640 View attachment 641 View attachment 642 View attachment 637 Here is one I picked up from somewhere a few years back??

Anyway, this one is a .54 Ardesa Hawken. Quality is descent on this one. Can’t really say anything negative about it ?? It’s solidly built. I’d compare it to a descent CVA Mountain Rifle in quality. It is what it is though!

Can’t really comment on how she shoots? Never shot it. Bought and put away.

To answer your original question? If the one you’re looking at is in descent shape, I’d definitely buy it for $250 !!

Respectfully, Cowboy6x6
Cowboy...do you know the twist rate of your rifle? I have the same one...Thank you.

Latest posts

Back