• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinions of the best reproduction percussion revolver carbine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

32 Cal
Reaction score
What's everyone's opinion on the best percussion .44 revolver carbine available? I don't know much about them, other than the fact I want one. For me, I think ergonomics and a removable cylinder are the most important features. I do know that they are tricky to hold safely, unless you are shooting single shot, with only one charged chamber.

The only current game in town is the '58 Remington style by Uberti. There were some Colt Root type rifles made by Palmetto some years back but they would be scarce and not of the best quality. ASM and possibly others made some carbines many years back but again they would be difficult to find and If I remember they were all based on the Colt open top guns. They might be fun but I expect the Colt barrel to frame issues would be exaggerated by the longer barrel.

I have a Uberti Remington and it is so light you can fire it one hand extended like a pistol and holding it securely with the off hand at the trigger guard isn't a problem at all. Overall it's a well balanced little gun. Holding one safely and securely is not an issue at all. It is not an accurate copy of the Remington revolving carbine by any means though. As an aside if you were thinking of a conversion cylinder it isn't a good candidate for a deer rifle as you would really be pushing the envelope.

#hawkeye2 Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in cartridge conversions. I have a Remington 1858 brass frame pistol and I really can't hold it properly, due to how close the trigger guard is to the grip. I assume the carbine doesn't have that issue? How's the performance and accuracy? How are the sights?

I have a brass framed 58 it shoots great, but is the most miserable gun I have ever fired. Remember when you pull the trigger the cylinder gap is only about 4 inches from your face instead of 2 feet away. not having a for grip and the possibility of chain-fire and loosing fingers isn't very appealing. I've only fire mine a couple times. it's more of a conversation piece.

The carbine has a straight stock (no pistol grip) so on issue.The sights on mine are a blade front drift adjustable and a semi buckhorn drift adjustable with an elevator but they may have been changed as there are some small dings on/around the front sight though they look original.

Last edited:
LOP is 14 1/4", 16 1/2" to the front of the cylinder, 11 1/2" from my eye to the front of the cylinder in my normal offhand stance. Index finger of the left hand in the hook on the guard with the fingers of the right hand resting in the palm of the left. It's so light that I can hold it just as steady with my left hand supporting my right forearm just behind the wrist. No need at all to have the left hand forward of the trigger.

Only if you tell her to load it with 4f. :D
You and Britsmoothy are going to suffer a horrible, dripping, screaming death one of these days with this dangerous practice of using 4F pan powder for stringent loads in reproduction guns of questionable quality. I pray unceasingly for your mortal preservation in the face of access to and abuse of such powerful and unnecessary powders. May Allah be merciful to you who drive the rockets! Of course for your mother in law, perhaps an exception can be made, LOL.

1595797786046.png

A
LOP is 14 1/4", 16 1/2" to the front of the cylinder, 11 1/2" from my eye to the front of the cylinder in my normal offhand stance. Index finger of the left hand in the hook on the guard with the fingers of the right hand resting in the palm of the left. It's so light that I can hold it just as steady with my left hand supporting my right forearm just behind the wrist. No need at all to have the left hand forward of the trigger.
And that is how both revolving carbines and stocked revolvers are to be fired

Back