• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinions Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Stony. Old guys understand the problem better but we all get old. If they don't understand now. They will when they get old.

This may be off topic as to elk hunting but I will relate a recent event that I was part of. This past Saturday was our annual pheasant hunt, My friend took his 15 year old grandson along I have hunted rabbits with the boy good kid. His first bird hunt as we opted for quail (this was on a preserve) the boy had a great time we took a break half way through the hunt ( old farts)and ask the dog handler to set four cock bird pheasant's just for the kid. As myself and his grandfather and great uncle decided we would not shoot on the flush and informed the dog handler of our decision. (the kid had no ideal what was going to happen) As the first point on the pheasant was set we moved him into position on the flush he smashed the bird the look on his face was worth a million dollars, the other three was the same story (best money I have spent in a long time) I have hunted deer with my granddaughter and hope to again (busy girl with college and part time job) But what I am attempting to say is spend time in the field with the younger folks, mentor them learn them hunting ethics give them your knowledge that took years for you to accumulate the rewards are worth more than you realize. If you are worried about the issue of being took for granted I do not think this is such a big issue if you choose you hunting partners well. I am a firm believer that after we move on if you are remembered in fond ways you will live forever.

I agree about mentoring kids. I got it from my dad and would love to pass it on to kids. I believe I am in a roundabout way. The adults that i've mentored have kids. So, maybe what they learned from me they'll pass on to their kids.

Ok, I just had a long talk with my best friend. He's a full-blooded Lakota Indian. Really big for an Indian. 6'4" 250lbs and strong as a bull.

He hunts the archery season with a bow and arrows he makes himself. Longbow and wooden arrows. In Colorado, the archery and muzzleloader seasons run at the same time. So, this is the plan we came up with.

Neither of us camp because we live close to the hunting area. So, we could both go to the hunting area together. I'll hunt a muzzleloader and he'll hunt archery. We'll go our separate ways and do our own hunts solo. I'll hunt for a cow. This isn't my normal hunting area, so if I get lucky and shoot a cow i'll do my best to get it out alone. Of course, he'll do the same if he gets a bull. If it turns out it's too much for me. He'll help me get the rest out. In that situation, I won't let the meat spoil and i'll accept help. At least I would have tried to do it all myself. Who knows? I might be able to do it.

So, as of now. That's my new plan. No plan that keeps me elk hunting can be bad. It sure beats shooting a youngster who deserves a longer life.

Ok, I just had a long talk with my best friend. He's a full-blooded Lakota Indian. Really big for an Indian. 6'4" 250lbs and strong as a bull.

He hunts the archery season with a bow and arrows he makes himself. Longbow and wooden arrows. In Colorado, the archery and muzzleloader seasons run at the same time. So, this is the plan we came up with.

Neither of us camp because we live close to the hunting area. So, we could both go to the hunting area together. I'll hunt a muzzleloader and he'll hunt archery. We'll go our separate ways and do our own hunts solo. I'll hunt for a cow. This isn't my normal hunting area, so if I get lucky and shoot a cow i'll do my best to get it out alone. Of course, he'll do the same if he gets a bull. If it turns out it's too much for me. He'll help me get the rest out. In that situation, I won't let the meat spoil and i'll accept help. At least I would have tried to do it all myself. Who knows? I might be able to do it.

So, as of now. That's my new plan. No plan that keeps me elk hunting can be bad. It sure beats shooting a youngster who deserves a longer life.
I'm glad you came around. I think you will be happier for it in the long run. Which I pray is a much longer run....
Maybe a change of thinking on help, with the right help of course, will create new experiences (which our brains need I think) and further inspire you to keep doing what you love even longer.

MtnMan, I do hunt big game in Colorado solo sometimes. Some of the territory is step and this fall I actually had to ford a river with my doe to get back to the truck. I have found that a cart makes a huge difference in ease of retrieval. I really like the Gorilla brand carts sold by Lowe's and Home Depot. They have high weight capacity and relatively large tires/high clearance. I stash it at the truck and go get it to bring back the meat once I have field dressed. Worth a thought at any rate.

Not sure about a cart but I do plan to get a sled. They roll up pretty small and I can strap it to my backpack. I normally bone out the meat at the kill and it should be easy enough to get it all on the sled. Then i'd only have one trip back to my Jeep. It would let me go farther from my Jeep to hunt knowing I only have one trip to do.

Not sure how it will work but that's my thinking.

A little background first.

I've hunted for elk since the 50's. I'm now 77. I grew up hunting with my dad and brother. Dad was very strict about how we hunted and what we shot. He taught me and my brother how to still hunt and said it was the only way to give the game a fair chance. He also drove into us that we should only hunt for males. So, all my life it was bulls, bucks, and bore bears.

Both my dad and brother passed away in the 80's. I've hunted alone since then. I prefer to hunt that way but getting the meat out alone from a bull became too hard as I got older. It's pretty warm in our muzzleloader season and I struggled to get the meat out before it spoiled from a bull. Muley's and bears were no problem. In my mid 60's I had to switch to only cow elk hunting. Now at my age that has become too hard too. I feel a hunter should do the whole hunt, so I don't want help with any of it. If I can't do the whole hunt then i'm too old to hunt.

So, now for my question. I can't believe i'm going to say this but i'm now considering hunting for a calve elk. I've looked at the stats for Colorado and there are a number of calves taken every year. What do you guys think? Should I hunt for a calf or should I give up elk hunting. Something that would be painful for me. Elk hunting is a part of my life and I feel if I give up on it i've given up being me. I've never quit anything.

Any and all opinions welcome.
Well there you go.
You asked for an opinion and there will NEVER be a shortage of opinions on this system.
For many years, first order of business in our hunting camp was to spread out and take a couple of young does for camp meat.
Always tender, always the best flavor, and we had some guys that could cook like 5 star chefs.
Hunt for your needs, and never stop needing tender wild meat. It just doesn't get any better than that.

Old man, you can call me if you are stuck. I can't handle much more than you but still it's two packers.

What do you guys think? Should I hunt for a calf or should I give up elk hunting. Something that would be painful for me. Elk hunting is a part of my life and I feel if I give up on it i've given up being me. I've never quit anything

Don't be so damn selfish, this is an opportunity to pass your and your ancestors knowledge on. So many times we look on the younger generation as stupid and lazy. Believe me somewhere around you is a young person that wants to learn and has the stamina for the hunt, maybe even enough to drag an elk and you out together.
You can be belligerent and bull headed, but you have the experience to and knowledge to pass on. I think that would be a great legacy to mentor young hunters.
I mean no harm or insults, but get your head out of it and look around. Killing a calf is no harm, but maybe there are other alternatives.
My biggest strength through the years has been homesteading, I love it, but age has taken it's toll and I can't do what I used too, but through the years I have mentored young homesteaders and it is paying off big time now that I am old and getting arthritic.
Sure,, some fail and some succeed, that's life, pick it up and move on. Leave a legacy, honor your father by passing his knowledge on.

Don't be so damn selfish, this is an opportunity to pass your and your ancestors knowledge on. So many times we look on the younger generation as stupid and lazy. Believe me somewhere around you is a young person that wants to learn and has the stamina for the hunt, maybe even enough to drag an elk and you out together.
You can be belligerent and bull headed, but you have the experience to and knowledge to pass on. I think that would be a great legacy to mentor young hunters.
I mean no harm or insults, but get your head out of it and look around. Killing a calf is no harm, but maybe there are other alternatives.
My biggest strength through the years has been homesteading, I love it, but age has taken it's toll and I can't do what I used too, but through the years I have mentored young homesteaders and it is paying off big time now that I am old and getting arthritic.
Sure,, some fail and some succeed, that's life, pick it up and move on. Leave a legacy, honor your father by passing his knowledge on.

You need to read the whole thread before you insult me.

Well post decision made I agree...take a calf. I was taught MUCH different than you, we hunted ONLY for the meat (mom was unable to eat beef and this was her chance to get red meat). I have many many times shot a small to medium buck/bull out from in front or a much larger "trophy" animal. Dad always said the folks that gave us grieve about it were fools, "a trophy elk is an elk in the freezer". I agree. I have taken 2 calves, my son got his first last year (with BP too!). I will shoot a cow first but last few days I shoot "elk", whatever shows up first looses. (Calves do eat REAL good too)

Now one way to maybe change yer mind is as you age you need less meat and a calf will just about be a perfect size trophy in your freezer to give you fresh meat for a year. BTW I have killed several mule deer that were small to medium cow elk size, so the weight issue is "iffy". If it is a seasonal thing (temperature) hunt in the general hunt and carry yer "smokepole".

I'm not sure where you got the idea i'm a trophy hunter. My dad just turned over in his grave. My whole family have been meat hunters. I've left 100% of all my antlers on the ground for others to pick up. I was taught to never take pictures of kills or to even talk about them.

We didn't just hunt for males for any reasons you seem to believe. We didn't hunt for the girls because it's too easy. Dad would tell us........."If the hunt was too easy. Don't kill them!"

I'm not sure why calves are still being discussed. Read post #24. I've even changed from that post. Since help will be available if I can't get it out. I'll be hunting for a bull. They have more meat.

Well, he did call me selfish and had my head up my butt. Seems kind of insulting.

Truth is I live in a small mountain town of 2000. Everybody knows everybody. It seems everybody hunts. The kids have a father to mentor them. As I mentioned in an above post I have taught some adults. They can pass it on to their kids.

To be honest. Not many want to use 1800 technology or hunting methods.

Well, he did call me selfish and had my head up my butt. Seems kind of insulting

No pun intended, Mtn man, I grew up in the 1800 era as far as hunting and trapping, believe me, as a youngster it could get rough. As I grew older and wiser I succumbed to modernize weaponry.
I took it that you wanted to be introvertish and I was afraid you would let the wisdom and knowledge you have to expire, like so many others. Maybe thinking the 1800 technology is unwanted in todays society.
I read the early thread, but missed the later additions, sorry.
I come across harsh at times. I was researching some sort of mechanized method of moving a load in the rough terrain of which you hunt, which is difficult for a flatlander to understand. The only time I have spent in the mountainous areas was in 69 training in the Army.
Again, No pun intended.

To be honest. Not many want to use 1800 technology or hunting methods.

Yeah, I get looked at funny when I get out even the short barreled, stainless caplock, let along anything more old fashioned looking. I think I was the only person not using an inline in the smallish SWA I hunted in the '19 muzzleloader season. Heck, I even get funny looks at the range when I bring a lever action unmentionable. I guess it is what it is.

Yeah, I get looked at funny when I get out even the short barreled, stainless caplock, let along anything more old fashioned looking. I think I was the only person not using an inline in the smallish SWA I hunted in the '19 muzzleloader season. Heck, I even get funny looks at the range when I bring a lever action unmentionable. I guess it is what it is.
At least you can give them giving you funny looks an eddy-cay-shun that a "magnum" isn't required to take a deer, and the traditional ML's can make 1 hole 100 yard 5 shot groups. :ghostly:

Latest posts

Back