• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinions and pricing 1873 SAA percussion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HandyAndy

32 Cal
Reaction score
I recently bought a Pietta brass frame Remington 1858 and discovered that it doesn't fit my hand. I have to keep my middle finger low or have it mashed up against the back of trigger guard.

I just found out that there's a percussion replica of the Colt SAA in .44 cal. That looks like it would fit my hand better. Does anyone have experience with them? Anything to look out for? I'm not sure if anyone besides Uberti makes them. What's the going price for them new or used?

I know they have a useless ejector rod on them and no loading lever. I plan to get some extra cylinders anyways. Do they make a shorter barrel version that doesn't have the ejector rod on them?

You get the exact same SAA grip frame on the 1851 Navy from Uberti,,And it unlike the 1873 cap and ball revolver ,,the 1851 Navy was an actual gun made by Colt.

I took an Uberti version of that gun in trade a couple of years ago. It’s a good shooter if y’all are set up with a press of some sort. I fired several cylinders full and sold it. the fit and finish was on a par with Uberti cartridge revolvers, which is to say, quite nice.

If the cartridge version isn’t available in your area. I would see the attraction, as noted it’s well made. The example I had hit to the left with a Kaido 225 grain flat point and 25 grains swiss powder. if I’d kept it I’d have dovetailed a front sight in place of the original. It was accurate enough as I recall. I’m not sure Uberti even sells them in the USA any longer So it may end up being collectible. ;)

Multiple us websites have them in stock, so yes they do sell them here

You get the exact same SAA grip frame on the 1851 Navy from Uberti,,And it unlike the 1873 cap and ball revolver ,,the 1851 Navy was an actual gun made by Colt.

Thanks, but I'm looking for something with a top strap. There is one local to me so I'll check it out and see how it feels in my hand.
I took an Uberti version of that gun in trade a couple of years ago. It’s a good shooter if y’all are set up with a press of some sort. I fired several cylinders full and sold it. the fit and finish was on a par with Uberti cartridge revolvers, which is to say, quite nice.

Thanks for the info. I do have a cylinder press.

If you want a sturdy percussion revolver with a top strap and you're not particularly concerned with authenticity, you might consider a Ruger Old Army. These are no longer in production, but Ruger built a lot of them and they are not hard to find on the used gun market. The Gun Works in Oregon has several of them up for sale right now, and you can also look on Gunbroker, GunsAmerica, Guns International, or just Google "Ruger old army for sale."

I don't know if the 1873 percussion revolver is available in more than one configuration. If you don't want the ejector rod, it can be removed by turning out one screw. I'm sure a competent gunsmith could bob the barrel for you, and he could probably install a dovetailed front sight while he's at it.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

One other thought... You mentioned getting your middle finger mashed against the triggerguard while shooting the Remmie. I don't know how you are holding the grip. One thing you can try is to curl your little finger under the bottom strap. This pulls your hand a little lower on the grip and may give better protection to your middle finger. It is very secure, if you have normal hand strength. It also helps prevent the grip from "riding up" in your hand due to recoil. I learned to shoot revolvers this way and accepted it as normal. I understand that the standard Colt grip (I don't know about Remington's) was designed to be held this way. The 1860 Army had a longer grip frame to enable a full-hand grip, and it was not uncommon to find Model P (1873) revolvers with 1860 grip frames installed, for those who insisted on a full-hand hold. I understand this is virtually a "drop-in" conversion.

For what it's worth...

Notchy Bob

The 1873 Colt Single Action Army was never a cap & ball gun. It was a cartridge gun from the get-go and the Uberti version with the revised hammer and cylinder does not fit the forums time frame.

The discussions on the forum are for things made during and before 1865.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back