Opinion on side plate engraving idea

Discussion in 'The Gun Builder's Bench' started by Kilted Cowboy, May 8, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 8, 2019 #1

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Pilgrim

Since I was a kid I was in love with the Rev War sharp shooters(widow makers).
    I know a lot of the stories are myth, and have been educating myself a bit more on actual accounts.
    My idea on this Kiblers colonial rifle is to have the words Widow Maker engraved in colonial style cursive on the side plate as a homage to the riflemen .
    I know its my rifle and I should do what I want, but would like the opinions of the folks on the forum regarding putting the rifles name on the side plate.
    Thanks
    KC

2. May 8, 2019 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

I can’t engrave and have never tried it. Every rifle I’ve seen live or in photos of that time was engraved even later, well past the federalist time when plain was becoming more common. I’ve not ever seen a name engraved on side plate. I’ve seen one with name engraved on patchbox. All the names I’ve seen on guns was on the barrel.

3. May 8, 2019 #3

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

It's yer rifle gun. Do yer own thang. As long as done tastefully, personalizing is perfectly fine. Of course, pics are mandatory when you get it done. ;)

4. May 8, 2019 #4

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

Larry (Omaha)

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I say go for it! It is something that is in tune with your feelings. Besides, a side plate can be replaced. You can always make two.
    Flintlocklar

5. May 8, 2019 #5

Col. Batguano

Col. Batguano

Col. Batguano

69 Cal.

You ought to look at some of DaveC2's work to get some ideas. What you are describing sort of takes the gun out of the realm of a historical piece, and somewhat in to being a fantasy piece.

It can be very tastefully done, but I would be wary of engraving in things that seem like a good idea now, but you might get tired of later on. (Think about all those stupid tattoos that drunken sailors get when they're on liberty for instance.) If your side plate is a standard unmodified factory one, then you could easily replace it down the road if you get tired of it. If it's custom shaped and inletted, it will be pretty much impossible to fit a new one in to the existing mortise,

6. May 8, 2019 #6

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Kilted Cowboy

Pilgrim

I understand, that is
    Thanks for your opinion. That is why I was thinking of doing it on the side plate. I can get a spare one from Jim Kibler if I want to swap it out at a later date without permanently carving it into the stock.