• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinion on Hawken kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm working on a Lyman GPR .54 flint that my daughter gave for Christmas, it's the Investarms model. It's my understanding that most Hawkens had iron furniture and no patch boxes with double wedges. Midsouth shooter has the .50 kit in stock for about 477 bucks which is in your price range.

Hi,
For those who want to know what good Hawken rifle reproductions and originals look like, click on these links. Herb is one of the best modern interpreters of Hawken rifles. The others contributing to these threads are not too shabby either. Pay attention to the second link because Herb lists the parts and their sources to make an accurate version.

https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=54383.msg544387#msg544387https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58411.msg584365#msg584365https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=40655.msg395617#msg395617https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=58132.msg582298#msg582298
dave

Last edited:
Sort of. We have a picture of Hawkens fitting a pattern, but the brothers didn’t get the message and made a lot of guns that didn’t fit the mold.
I just bought a misused rifle at a pawn shop. I will use it for a project … not telling what make it is. Will show before and after as I work. Yes it relates to this thread. If I were to work with an 11 year old I would go with the traditions. $100 saved will buy some accessories and with care you will have a nice gun. It is an easy build. Dale

Somewhat of a moot point as neither is available right now, but thinking of one of these two for the 11 year old and I to put together. Opinions?
Now is your chance to shine as a dad! He is at the perfect age to start learning. Why don't you let him pick (even if it is not the best selection) and you help him build? He will never learn if you don't give him the opportunity. My father had me in the Soap Box Derby at age 11 or 12 and that experience is with me today.

I put together a Traditions St. Louis Hawken kit a few years ago - it's a .54 caliber, not a .50. The barrel has deep rifling with a 1 in 48 twist. Unlike some earlier Ardessa locks, this one has a bridled tumbler. It went together easily; something any 11 year old could participate in and actually be a major part of. It shoots very well, as good as the factory sights allow. I've never upgraded them and probably won't.

I don't think either one would be a bad choice. As pointed out by another poster, the difference in price would pay for a lot of needed accessories. Good luck and have fun.

The question is..... do you want it to look like a Hawken, or a modern day knock off? There are very good parts sets out there that are authentic. i.e. Don Stith. Like everything else, you get what you pay for.
If authenticity is not the object, just get something with a good lock and barrel, and build what you like.

I think we'll go the Traditions route, as it's been said - the extra $$ will get a mold and some other accessories. I have all Colt reproduction revolvers currently. Funny thing - I have a musket size nipple wrench already, accidentally ordered it off my phone late one night.

Now is your chance to shine as a dad! He is at the perfect age to start learning. Why don't you let him pick (even if it is not the best selection) and you help him build? He will never learn if you don't give him the opportunity. My father had me in the Soap Box Derby at age 11 or 12 and that experience is with me today.
I agree let him pick and build it together; as far as a good kit we can all split hairs about our preferences, but the time spent together and the lessons learned are where the value in this type of project lie. A good looking very shootable rifle can be made from any of the kits with time and care. Please let us know how it goes.

I agree let him pick and build it together; as far as a good kit we can all split hairs about our preferences, but the time spent together and the lessons learned are where the value in this type of project lie. A good looking very shootable rifle can be made from any of the kits with time and care. Please let us know how it goes.

He and I have watched all of Nate's videos on the 3Rivers website - he said he would be perfectly happy with a copy of "that one" :)

It is a very simple rifle … no cheekpiece, very simple butt plate, etc. But they do shoot well and are light to carry. My deceased wife won some very competitive shoots with one. You can find them on the traditions site. Polecat Just tried: enter Traditions Frontier Rifle on your search engine

Last edited:
Back