• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Opinel No. 7, the perfect knife for a possibles bag

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinel has only been in business since 1890, but the design is a much older French peasants knife. Remove the modern text and I think the French voyageurs would have had something very close.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/collecti...opinel-knives-no-7-carbon-steel-folding-knife

I prefer the Opinel No.5 Carbon Steel ....,

OPINEL NO 5 Carbon Steel Friction Folder.jpg

It doesn't have the modern locking ring, and it's also carbon steel not stainless steel. Except for the modern markings and perhaps the groove for the finger nail, this is essentially an 18th century folding knife.

LD

I rounded the handle and added a few groves around it as well as sanding off the markings on the handle, makes a very light sharp inexpensive knife to carry in a weskit pocket or to drop in a rifle bag or haversack. May not be really 18th century but fairly close for a knife that most likely won't be seen and holds-takes a edge better than the import period folders I'm betting.

RatoRat........I have two old original 18th cent. pocketknives that look very close to an Op-Pee-Nell. One is a close copy made at Colonial Wmsbg. , Va.. , the other was bought in a box of old worn out pocketknives. Who's to say how old this style of pocket knife might be??.
My hunting buddy has used an OP , for years hunting w/ m/l in flint deer season , Pa. His has close to 20 notches in it. ......oldwood
Oldwood you wouldn't have a pic of the Williamsburg knife would you.

Yes, they are single blade folders, some having a lock ring, some stainless some carbon. They come light weight and razor sharp.
I totally agree with you! I have 3 of them that I have used for period reenacting, including WW2,

They all stay sharp well. I use them for cutting food, meat, veggies,, potatoes and such. They maintain an edge well. I don't carve, cut wood or bones with them. They are fairly thin bladed. The carbon blades will rust quickly, stainless no problem.

I was interested in the knives, and I clicked on the site in the OP.
Now I'm getting ads for them on my phone!
Isn't technology freaking wonderful?
Has anyone else had this occur?
Yes indeed! Was searching on my phone for the location of a Ford dealership and within an hour was receiving ads for Ford's. "They" now know where we are, what we want and what we got.

carbon steel is the way for me. when dulled just give them a couple of licks on a hone / stone and VIOLA, back to being able to shave with it!!

If you all have a sharpening jig 17 degrees is a very durable and long lasting edge on the opinel carbon steel knives.

dang it! now you have cost me money! i really wish folks wouldn't post things like this!

i'm soooooooooo weak!
DeerStalker, before you leap for that French knife look for an "Old Bear" They are Italian and are head and shoulders above that French knife. You can get them with a walnut handle, the bolster or collar is also the lock . it is a substantial one made of brass with an iron swivel lock. The handle is unfinished so, do it to your taste. They come in three sizes ,small to who's your daddy. Mine is exactly what the doctor ordered. I honestly recommend them. Look on amazon.
John

We have one around here somewhere. The medium woman seems to have put it in a safe place. Being one of here many Moras has replaced the cheap French one.

The old bear mushroom knife would be a nice patch knife already has a whisk broom built in the handle for a pan brush.

RatoRat........I have two old original 18th cent. pocketknives that look very close to an Op-Pee-Nell. One is a close copy made at Colonial Wmsbg. , Va.. , the other was bought in a box of old worn out pocketknives. Who's to say how old this style of pocket knife might be??.
My hunting buddy has used an OP , for years hunting w/ m/l in flint deer season , Pa. His has close to 20 notches in it. ......oldwood
I'd like to see what they look like. Any chance you can post a pic or two of them?

Years ago, mid 1980's, my wife bought me cased set of Opinel knives. They range from the smallest size to the largest in a wooden box. Already had some for users so they just set on the shelf and look nice.

Flint Whiskey.............So sorry on the pics , We have no cell service ,so only use Go phones , when out. Both of those old original pocketknives are folders , and are worn out , dead ringers for the Opinel folder. .....oldwood

Back