• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Operating model cannon - can we use old gunners' techniques?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My club shoot small cannons as part of our muzzleloading competition. Some are competitive, some less so. Forum member heelerau will recognise these characters!

I don't have a tube yet. But I would like to add something besides shooting scores on 25m targets. I want to understand the practice of gunners in the times before indirect fire. I read on the web that indirect fire developed late 19th-early 20th century. I want to understand the artillery practices of the star fort period basically 1500 -1800, and seige warfare a bit more. With the defensive batteries of the bastions and siege artillery counter-battery fire, how they got the best out of their guns and ammunition.

So I want to make a model gun, and use a trunnion sight, gunner's quadrant and pendulum level with very small loads to work up a range card for a position and how to pitch shot or canister onto a dug-in battery at distance.
If anyone can offer suggestions on sources for procedures, training aids, pictures of carriages in these batteries or articles that might help I would be very grateful!
My raw material:
steels_found%20-%20Copy.JPG

Some of our members at work:
Competitn1.jpg

Competitn3.jpg

Competitn4.jpg

The late Dr Leo Laden
Competitn2.jpg

Some of the pics I found of accessories to make:
french-flint-firing-lock-charleville1.jpg

sights_1873.jpg

Back