• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Open Rear Sight Conversion to Peep

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 74 year old eyes just cannot properly focus on a deer and a front sight and a rear sight at the same time. At least not well enough to hit anything. As a result, I have switched to peep sights and with a light gathering (TruGlo) front sight. I recently completed a Lyman GPR (Pedersoli) Flintlock kit in 50 caliber. I tried a Mable Bullseye Rear Sight (as shown in the first photo) but the ring around the peep was way too thin to be useful for me. Playing McGyver, I then took the rear sight that came with the kit (second photo) and added a steel washer to it creating a homemade version of the Marble Bullseye (third photo) with a much more pronounced ring surrounding the opening. The opening in the center of the washer is .215 inches. Using the factory dovetail for the rear sight, the peep is approximately 11.5 to 12 inches from my eye. It works really well for me as demonstrated by the fourth photo which is a 50 yard target I shot sighting in the rifle using 70 grains of FFFG and a Lee REAL 250 grain bullet lubricated with TOW mink oil. I will finish adjusting the sights when the weather is cooler than 95 degrees and the humidity is less than 80 percent! The enlarged ring around the opening does not seem to obstruct much of my view and your eye can instantly center the front sight. It costs just a few pennies for the washer and a brush full of flat black paint. For my purpose at least, it seems to be a winner.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-13 150419 (2).jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-13 150419 (2).jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4620 (2).jpg
    IMG_4620 (2).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4624.jpg
    IMG_4624.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4891 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_4891 - Copy.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 0
My 74 year old eyes just cannot properly focus on a deer and a front sight and a rear sight at the same time. At least not well enough to hit anything. As a result, I have switched to peep sights and with a light gathering (TruGlo) front sight. I recently completed a Lyman GPR (Pedersoli) Flintlock kit in 50 caliber. I tried a Mable Bullseye Rear Sight (as shown in the first photo) but the ring around the peep was way too thin to be useful for me. Playing McGyver, I then took the rear sight that came with the kit (second photo) and added a steel washer to it creating a homemade version of the Marble Bullseye (third photo) with a much more pronounced ring surrounding the opening. The opening in the center of the washer is .215 inches. Using the factory dovetail for the rear sight, the peep is approximately 11.5 to 12 inches from my eye. It works really well for me as demonstrated by the fourth photo which is a 50 yard target I shot sighting in the rifle using 70 grains of FFFG and a Lee REAL 250 grain bullet lubricated with TOW mink oil. I will finish adjusting the sights when the weather is cooler than 95 degrees and the humidity is less than 80 percent! The enlarged ring around the opening does not seem to obstruct much of my view and your eye can instantly center the front sight. It costs just a few pennies for the washer and a brush full of flat black paint. For my purpose at least, it seems to be a winner.
I am a few years behind you and so far have found the Marbles Bullseye works fine for me…. but the day is coming. I knew a fellow shooter who would solder washers to OEM sights for a similar effect. Typically he had to lower the rear sight and/or find a taller front sight. He loved the setup, although I thought he should have saved the OEM sight and modified an aftermarket sight, but he was confident it wasn’t going to be a problem. Figured his kids could explain it when they liquidated his estate. He was correct. From what I heard, the kids tossed everything in the bed of a pickup truck and sold the lot to a pawn shop for pennys on the dollar. Couldn’t be bothered with individual sales, but I am digressing.

I like what you have done with your sight. Good job of adapting something to work for you.

I am a few years behind you and so far have found the Marbles Bullseye works fine for me…. but the day is coming. I knew a fellow shooter who would solder washers to OEM sights for a similar effect. Typically he had to lower the rear sight and/or find a taller front sight. He loved the setup, although I thought he should have saved the OEM sight and modified an aftermarket sight, but he was confident it wasn’t going to be a problem. Figured his kids could explain it when they liquidated his estate. He was correct. From what I heard, the kids tossed everything in the bed of a pickup truck and sold the lot to a pawn shop for pennys on the dollar. Couldn’t be bothered with individual sales, but I am digressing.

I like what you have done with your sight. Good job of adapting something to work for you.
Thanks. My kids and grandkids hunt and know firearms so I am hopeful my guns won't end up in a pawn shop for pennies on the dollar.

Thanks. My kids and grandkids hunt and know firearms so I am hopeful my guns won't end up in a pawn shop for pennies on the dollar.
Great to hear. To date I have ‘gifted’ over a dozen muzzleloaders and accoutrements to nephews and young family members in the hope some will take to traditional muzzleloading. At least by spreading them around they won’t head to the pawn shop as a lot. And with any luck, a few will become family heirlooms.

I would think that a higher than normal front sight would be needed, but you're hitting low at 50 yards. Maybe your fiber optic is higher than the one made for the gun.

Great to hear. To date I have ‘gifted’ over a dozen muzzleloaders and accoutrements to nephews and young family members in the hope some will take to traditional muzzleloading. At least by spreading them around they won’t head to the pawn shop as a lot. And with any luck, a few will become family heirlooms.
Are you looking to adopt any new relations who would also appreciate receiving one of your muzzleloaders, “Uncle?”😉

Last edited:

Scota@4570 can you make me a peep sight for my Pedersoli Frontier? I am 70 and have the same problem focusing on the stock sights. They are classic sights but I am at the age that I need a good and secure peep sight. Tell me what you need from me.​

Back