• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OP card/wad size ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got a flint smoothie, bore measures .540, 28 gauge I assume, I've shot it with paper wadding and punched os cards but the smoldering paper wadding makes me paranoid, circle fly 28 gauge fiber wads and cards measure .560, will these fit or can they be too tight in the bore, they are advertised for a .550 bore i believe, thanks in advance.

Contact Flintlocks, Inc. Tell them what you have. They will send trial packs of different wad sizes to try. Of course, when you select the best for your gun loyalty to them for your supply would be appreciated. Nice folks. Don't know if they have a web site.

V.M. Starr (“The Muzzle Loading Shotgun. It's Care and Use.”) used only two thin cardboard wads over the powder and one over the shot. He was a successful hunter for many years.
The book is a classic.
I use the same when loading my 16 gauge Fowler

Pete D. said:
V.M. Starr (“The Muzzle Loading Shotgun. It's Care and Use.”) used only two thin cardboard wads over the powder and one over the shot. He was a successful hunter for many years.
The book is a classic.
I use the same when loading my 16 gauge Fowler
:hatsoff:

How do you deal with your fouling with just the thin cards and no lubed wad ? When I use paper wads I just run a damp patch and a dry one down the bore and reload, I dont shoot a lot though, just a squirrel here and there.

I use a little cap tin full of lube.
I put a card in the muzzle, the next card scapes some lube from the tin and then is placed on the first card creating a lube cookie.

B.

I have been using my own.
It's candle wax cut with olive oil.
Before that beef fat and olive oil.
But recently I bought some wonder lube and love it. I can leave a fouled gun for days without any issues and it smells nice :haha:

B.

Fiber wads can be compressed quite a bit. I use 10 ga wads for both my 10 ga and 12 ga, although they are a tight fit and pain to start down the barrel. Just that for a few shots a year, I did not feel like getting 12 ga wads.

Britsmoothy said:
But recently I bought some wonder lube and love it. I can leave a fouled gun for days without any issues and it smells nice :haha:

B.
I know this was said, "tongue in cheek" but some of our newcomers might actually believe it.

Sure would hate to see one of them ruin their gun because they actually believed you. :)

Zonie said:
Britsmoothy said:

B.
I know this was said, "tongue in cheek" but some of our newcomers might actually believe it.

Sure would hate to see one of them ruin their gun because they actually believed you. :)

I dont know what "wonder lube" is but in the percussion thread I posted that I FINALLY got my .36 to shoot a near acceptable group using (too much, cuz it was hot and un opened) a 15ish year old tube of Pine Scented Bore Butter? That on real tight but REAL thin floral :redface: pillow ticking. Smallest 25 yd group before was about 4" This got me 1" and many touching?

Whats Bore Butter?

Zonie said:
Britsmoothy said:

B.

No sir, tested it.
Now I ain't blowing a trumpet for wonder lube as it costs me money and is no better than my home brew but I can leave a gun in harmed for days if I apply a coating down the bore and lock works before leaving uncleaned.
Think of a 22. Their bores get coated in bullet lube and since priming became non corrosive a 22 barrel never rots.

B.

Eterry said:
Britt, I used all my wonder lube years ago to start a campfire, best thing I ever did.

I saved some fat from a buck last year and have been thinking about using it for lube. Its in a freezer bag in the freezer. Ever use it ?
Never used deer tallow but I would not hesitate at trying it.

B.

Latest posts

Back