• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oops, accidentally bought a new rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahkagari

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been needing a new project to retreat from the two tween/teen girls in my house. Had a brainstorm to build a .32 that they could use at the local muzzleloader range I just joined.

Shopped around and found the Traditions Crockett kit. Most places who listed it were out of stock and many listed it as no back order or discontinued. Those who did have it, listed it for higher than I felt like spending.

Found a site that listed it at a decent price with dirt cheap shipping. Hemmed and hawed and, judging by their site setup, thought that they might not be automatically reflecting their inventory. So, I figured, they might be out of stock and would not charge me, they'd put it as back order and I'd cancel the order, or it might go through and they'd ship it. So, that meant a 2 out of 3 chance that I wouldn't buy a new gun.

Turns out they have it in stock, it's been shipped, and is expected to arrive the day after tomorrow. So I accidentally bought a new project to alleviate stress at a good price with fast shipping.

Oh, darn.

And the "stated problem" is?.....Oh yes.....it's the wait that's the issue!! :rotf: :rotf:

stubshaft said:
In my house the issue is when SWMBO finds out! :doh:

When I told my SWMBO I accidentally bought it she said, "How did that happen? You tripped and your wallet flew out at a Cabela's sales clerk?"

When I explained it as stress relief to hide in my workshop she said, "I'm okay with you buying it then."

Good thing since I'd already bought it.

At least I am not alone , I have a .54 cal. Bess type Flintlock supposed to arrive this Thursday . Have no idea how I will explain this one .If I can just intercept the USPS lady !

That is inspirational....now just need to find a second wife to try it on. Second thought, no, I guess I'll never be able to use that one. :wink:

I operate on the bases that I never lie to my wife, I just dont tell her everything, somethings she just does not need to know.

I sold rifle recently that was fairly expensive. I made the mistake of telling her when she asked how much I sold it for. She pestered me to take that money and use it towards my tractor. The nerve of that woman.

Fleener

fleener said:
I operate on the bases that I never lie to my wife, I just dont tell her everything, somethings she just does not need to know.

I sold rifle recently that was fairly expensive. I made the mistake of telling her when she asked how much I sold it for. She pestered me to take that money and use it towards my tractor. The nerve of that woman.

Fleener

There's that tshirtism, "My greatest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

Rule in our house is that I don't bug her about her knitting stuff and she doesn't bug me about gun stuff.

mahkagari said:
fleener said:

Fleener

There's that tshirtism, "My greatest fear is that I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them."

Rule in our house is that I don't bug her about her knitting stuff and she doesn't bug me about gun stuff.

Same here. I don't complain to the wife about her craft stuff and she don't bug me about my guns. Actually I have gotten to the point where she doesn't know what I have because I have so many.

My wife is thrifty with money, and I am thankful for that. She does not have really any hobbies, other than shopping.

This is no lie, for our 15th anniversary (10 years ago) she let it be known she would like a anniversary ring with diamonds. I went to our local jewelry store and we know the owners. I bought the ring with the largest diamonds, and they were not that big, I was looking for larger diamonds. They told me that after I give her the ring, bring it back and they would make anything we wanted.

I gave her the ring, told her that we can go back and have them make a ring with larger stones. She took the ring back, traded it in for one with smaller stones, and put the money in the bank.

How women would do that?

Fleener

Thrifty wife you say!
My wife would shop at the funeral home for jewelry, if she wanted something. :shocked2:
She has a continual audit on all my gun stuff.
And, like said above, should I kick the bucket, someone would get a great bargain from "wifey", as she would sell my stuff for the price I told her, that I paid for it. :shake: :hmm:
This gun stuff is troubling!
Fred

when I shuffle off this mortal coil, I have no doubt that my children will step in and then the 'Persian rug merchant' thing will begin...

watching my eldest (who runs a leather working business for the Renaissance Faire circuit) do a deal is sort of scary ”¦ I keep thinking "That's my kid? Who's making the used car salesman cry tears of frustration?... I've created a monster... "

bwa ha ha ha

Been married for 47 years and my wife has never questioned a gun buy. I was a dealer spending a couple of hundred thousands a year on guns.

When one came home for me she knew it would eventually I would lose interest and then make money on it.

I never questioned what she bought for herself or hobby, or clothes or our Son.

Wife and I both trust each other and our decisions. I would marry her again tomorrow.

Not always bliss but we work good together.

:metoo:

That is the reason that I have such kits delivered to a local gun shop that I frequent, citing concerns about people following UPS trucks stealing it. Since they don't have to log them in their transfer log book, they don't care since I'm there about every other day.

It gets into the trunk of the car at the shop. She gets in the shower that night and the package is popped open so the prize gets in the safe. Or, it replaces the project that was 'on-going' on the work bench. :wink:

Back