• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OO buck in a pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Any one tried this? What loads did you use? Also how does bird shot #6 generally work in a 20 ga Trade Pistol?

If you are speaking of a load of several 00 buck in a smoothbore pistol, I haven't tried that. I have done it with a 20 ga. smoothbore long gun, with pretty good results.

I have shot #5 and #6 birdshot in a 20 ga. Jackie Brown flintlock pistol, 8" barrel. I find that useable patterns can be had out to 10-12 yards, have killed a few squirrels in that range.

I usually load 30-35 gr. FFFg Goex and 35 grains equivalent of shot.

I fool around with different waddings a lot, so I've tried 2 hard card over powder and one thin overshot, 1 hard card+ a 1/2-inch lubricated cushion wad with a thin overshot, tow, both over powder and over shot, and shredded cedar bark the same. I don't find one particularly better than any other, patterns get pretty thin and uneven at 15 yards with all of them.

Pattern using tow, 10 yards:
Jbrowntow2.jpg

Pattern using cedar bark, 10 yards:
JBrowncedar.jpg

And pattern using 2 hard cards, one thin overshot, 12-14 yards: :grin:
JBrown_fox3.jpg

Spence

Latest posts

Back