• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

One of two Hatfields I received for my birthday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpd303

Nearly Normal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I was able to pick up two Hatfield rifles that were a bargain, because they needed some work. My wife didn't know it at the time but she got them for my birthday present. :wink: She wouldn't let me shoot them until I had checked them out and addressed the problems they had. Yesterday I was able to shoot the .45 caliber flintlock Kentucky and must say I am pleased with it's performance. Not bad for my eyes off hand at 32 yards even though she has an Italian barrel and lock.

2hptyf4.jpg

Like to see more of that pretty red gun and targets nailed from a bench.

And t'other gun!?

Pedersoli Frontier (or Cabela's Blue Ridge) is the same gun ya know...

Here is a picture of both before I started working on them. The .54 caliber Plains rifle had a lot of surface rust and the stock was filthy. Looked like it had been hanging up for a long time and not cared for.
Fortunately it cleaned up very nicely with no pitting and the bore is perfect. One ram rod pipe had popped loose but I was able to re-solder it with silver solder and I had to forge a missing barrel wedge.
Haven't fired it yet because I was working on the flintlock which had lock problems and was dying to see how she would do.
23tgl0o.jpg

Hi 303, Had my eye on those but didn't bid. I'm glad someone from this forum wound up with them.
Great Haul!
Condor

Finally set up my bench and worked out her favorite load. Seven rounds at the same 32 yards. Think I'll keep that load. .440 cast rb, 55gr fffg Goex, .015 patch Moose Milk lube. Stopped before I got the inevitable flier.
34y1mc5.jpg

Well, say what you will about the Italian lock and barrel, with that wood that Pedersoli is a $1,200 gun -- it is a copy of an original Hatfield (& McCoys) family gun. L&R makes an un-colored replacement flintlock which I bought one of because I have a .50 maple Hatfield like yours (plus a Hatfield .50 caplock kit) as well as a .50 Pedersoli European walnut version and the flintlocks have a bad reputation in some circles -- better safe than sorry.

Good shootin'. Be safe. Enjoy! The Mrs. made a nice birthday gift choice and apparently a wise investment I'm guessing.

Do consider the L&R while they're around and cheap.

An update on these rifles.
The .54 Plains rifle shot very well but for some reason it was a "cheek slapper" for me. I think the length of pull was a little long. Sorry I didn't take any pictures of it.

Here is where the feel good story comes in. One of the younger officers that I worked with fell in love with that gun. He and his son's are black powder hunters and shooters. His son just bought a GPR in .54 and is in the Marine Corps.

His son is coming home on leave and they are going hunting. After I retired, that officer was promoted to the position of Lieutenant to take my place.

Well that Hatfield has just sat in the gun rack for the past 3 years. So I decided to gift it to him as a combination Christmas and promotion present.

Can't tell ya how happy it has made both of us and I know he will take good care of it and take many deer.

That was a really cool thing to do, I'm sure he will be very grateful. It's nice to see a Law Enforcement Officer or Military person get rewarded.

This is a dumb question, but when Hatfield's were being produced, did they always use imported barrels or did they utilize USA made components for a time?

In any case cool rifle and story.

Have a good one,

PW

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a picture of both before I started working on them. The .54 caliber Plains rifle had a lot of surface rust and the stock was filthy. Looked like it had been hanging up for a long time and not cared for.
Fortunately it cleaned up very nicely with no pitting and the bore is perfect. One ram rod pipe had popped loose but I was able to re-solder it with silver solder and I had to forge a missing barrel wedge.
Haven't fired it yet because I was working on the flintlock which had lock problems and was dying to see how she would do.
The picture was lost due to Photobucket dropping tinypic so I thought I would put it back in.
hatfield.jpg

hatfield2.jpg

Back