• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One of my......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
favorites! .50 caliber 1-72" ROT with Sharon barrel. Shoots like a dream!

Tom Watson Flinter by Sharps Man, on Flickr

IMG_3581 by Sharps Man, on Flickr
The wide shots and the one at 7 o/clock was when I was tapping/filing and adjusting the front sight so as to get centered. The last 5 went where I wanted them to go! Shot from 100 yards.

Last edited:
Nice rifle and great grouping. What kind of charge are you using in that 1/72 twisted barrel? I had a .54 flint Jaeger with that twist and could not get groups worth a flip with less than about a 120 gr. charge. Recoil and powder usage prompted me to part with it.

Nice rifle and great grouping. What kind of charge are you using in that 1/72 twisted barrel? I had a .54 flint Jaeger with that twist and could not get groups worth a flip with less than about a 120 gr. charge. Recoil and powder usage prompted me to part with it.
100 grains KIK 2F blackpowder BP basically IMO just gives a big shove; not like shooting a 300 Win Mag!

Tom Watson built rifle from Georgia! I don't have that skill!
I think you mentioned in another thread that Tom Watson also built your Dimick rifle. You don't hear much about him, but he sure does some mighty good work! Is Tom still building rifles? So many of the good builders are cutting back. I can think of a few who have stopped taking orders, but only build guns that interest them, "on spec," and put them up for sale.

Anyway, I had not heard of Tom Watson before you told us about him. I would like to see some more of his work.

I almost neglected to mention that is some fine shooting, too! I can barely see a target at 100 yards these days, but I don't think I was ever capable of shooting groups like that!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I think you mentioned in another thread that Tom Watson also built your Dimick rifle. You don't hear much about him, but he sure does some mighty good work! Is Tom still building rifles? So many of the good builders are cutting back. I can think of a few who have stopped taking orders, but only build guns that interest them, "on spec," and put them up for sale.

Anyway, I had not heard of Tom Watson before you told us about him. I would like to see some more of his work.

I almost neglected to mention that is some fine shooting, too! I can barely see a target at 100 yards these days, but I don't think I was ever capable of shooting groups like that!

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
Tom has retired. I think he lost his wife a while back and that took a lot of wind outa his sails! I enjoyed doing business with him! Takes a lot of patience to do a rifle right!

favorites! .50 caliber 1-72" ROT with Sharon barrel. Shoots like a dream!

Tom Watson Flinter by Sharps Man, on Flickr

IMG_3581 by Sharps Man, on Flickr
The wide shots and the one at 7 o/clock was when I was tapping/filing and adjusting the front sight so as to get centered. The last 5 went where I wanted them to go! Shot from 100 yards.
Hall Sharon made some mighty fine barrels

Back