• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Long Gun And One Handgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This,,,
FFEFCD23-EDF2-4042-94FE-1B00A4A007D5.jpeg

I would take my double barrelled rifle (not a kodiak, got it at a pawn shop and trying to find out what it is) and, for defense, my cavalry LeMat with 9 shots and 20 gauge. Otherwise, my '61 Navy colt for feel, balance and reliability.

Kodiak .72 caliber double rifle and my fixed sight Ruger Old Army with a 5 1/2" barrel.

I figure I could get by loading birdshot for close range work in the rifle if I really had to.
If not for the 'defense' part of the equation I would use my '58 Remington instead.

Ok I'll play. I'll take my fusil de chasse in 20 gauge and heavy dragoon pistol, also in 20 gauge. One kind of ammo should simplify things. I'd then have the ability to hunt anything in my neighborhood. Loading for defense I could use buck and ball or just buckshot.

Since I've pretty much decided my big game hunting days are over I'd go with a caplock .45 roundball rifle, likely one of my Beaver Lodge guns, and a Ruger Old Army. If big game animals were still on my menu I'd choose a .54 roundball rifle, likely my Corley fullstock Hawken, in place of the .45.

I love my muzzleloaders, but would never consider using them as a home defense "go to". When my family's life is in danger, I will not risk a "flash in the pan", or a failed cap. Even when I hunt, I use a 209 conversion to prevent misfires. If I HAD to use a muzzleloader for home defense, I would use one of my shotguns, but again with the 209 conversion for the reason stated above. In a split second life or death situation, a shotgun is the best way to prevent the inevitable adrenaline rush and shaky hands from causing a miss. (Hold on mr. bad guy while I reload my long rifle...) BTW, I also keep a very sharp short sword handy in case I can't get to my primary weapon of choice in time.

A super duper, semiauto, oozi lazer, double barrel, heat seeking shotgun.
If you don’t recognize the reference, look up “da Turdy point buck” song on YouTube. It’s funny 🤣
On a serious note, for me it would have to be a smoothy and probably an 1860 colt. Game laws here in Idaho require a shotgun for waterfowl, Turkey, squirrel, hare, but you can can legally shoot grouse with a rifle. The large bore smoothy would allow for big game hunting with a PRB, and everything else with shot.

Back