• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

One Hurting Pedersoli Rifle comes back to life........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of comments and questions.

First, that’s another great video! I really enjoyed it.

I don’t like tight fitting, hard to push loads either. I even use .454 round balls in my .50 caliber rifle. Works for me.

Was the lock malfunction due to all the shooting you’ve done?

Finally, what were the shortest and longest distances you shot in this video?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

I have a couple of comments and questions.

First, that’s another great video! I really enjoyed it.

I don’t like tight fitting, hard to push loads either. I even use .454 round balls in my .50 caliber rifle. Works for me.

Was the lock malfunction due to all the shooting you’ve done?

Finally, what were the shortest and longest distances you shot in this video?

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

I often get criticized for shooting undersized balls. I shoot 75-80 times in a few hours when I get out. I'm not going to take hammers, steel range rods & short starters with me. I almost always use the equipment supplied with the gun..like our forefathers did. Since I'm half blind and have an eye dominance problem, I shoot for fun. I'm in this hobby for the fun, not too worried about being a dead accurate shooter.
Hitting a target is just a bonus to me.

Yes.....the poor old gun has seen a hard life in the last 7-8 years.
The lock was worn out to the point it wouldn't stay in half cock half the time. When the trigger was pulled, it only fired about 20% of the time....even with a good flint on it. Barry pulled a lock off a junk 36 caliber Pedersoli gun he had. He took that lock apart, polished up a little and put it back together. Works great now. I left 2 different locks that wasn't working very well with him to tinker with. He enjoys doing that type of work as a hobby.

The distances on the flat ground on the video were 30 yards...up to 70 yards where the cellphone scene happened.
The woods shooting scenes are roughly 75 yards along with the end scenes.
This was filmed back in May 2021 after the weeds were cut. Currently, the field hasn't been cut and those same weeds are 10-12 feet high.
Thanks for asking....

Last edited:
Yessiree! I once had an old CVA that I wore out from shooting with the same problem. It was a tack driver though .

I just like to make smoke and put lead down range. That’s why I switched to undersized round balls. They’re so easy to load and work good enough for me. Like you, I prefer to use just the rifle and ramrod on it along with powder horn and bag. My bag carries the makings for 50-60 shots.

I have always figured that our forefathers did not use very tight fitting loads. That’s only my backwoods thinking and I won’t say it’s historically correct since I have no proof of it.

Going to watch your video again now 😁👍

Last edited:
Yessiree! I once had an old CVA that I wore out from shooting with the same problem. It was a tack driver though .

I just like to make smoke and put lead down range. That’s why I switched to undersized round balls. They’re so easy to load and work good enough for me. Like you, I prefer to use just the rifle and ramrod on it along with powder horn and bag. My bag carries the makings for 50-60 shots.

I have always figured that our forefathers did not use very tight fitting loads. That’s only my backwoods thinking and I won’t say it’s historically correct since I have no proof of it.

Going to watch your video again now 😁👍
I agree....you think along the same lines as I do...
With no proof either, I don't see our forefathers using start starters, hammers, extremely thick materials as patches and steel or brass rods to load a rifle.That would have been more weight to carry around. The well picked hickory rod would suffice. I carry about 75-100 round balls with me in the pouch and even more under the back seat of the truck. Thanks for watching....I have another wacky fun adventure coming next Sunday.

Maybe that why Im such a bad shot. I cant get the tape to stick to my eyeball
I had the same issue but I used a tack to keep the tape in place. I found it to create discomfort and would not suggest someone use this method as it did nothing to improve my accuracy :dunno:

Mark, I enjoyed your latest video so much I decided to try loading my .50cal. GPR with smaller RB (.4885"), but with the same .018" pillow ticking I usually use. Loading was easier, but since the muzzle isn't coned, I still needed a short starter. Accuracy, however, was unaffected. Speedier loading is especially important when you're shooting in a group as no one likes waiting for the slow poke (me). Thanks for the tip and hope you continue making these videos!

.G. Day great video again.Msrk. Good to see the old pedersoli back in action. Nice cone job on the old girl that'll have you loading twice as quick more shots per video. Enjoy. Cheers from down under.

Mark, I enjoyed your latest video so much I decided to try loading my .50cal. GPR with smaller RB (.4885"), but with the same .018" pillow ticking I usually use. Loading was easier, but since the muzzle isn't coned, I still needed a short starter. Accuracy, however, was unaffected. Speedier loading is especially important when you're shooting in a group as no one likes waiting for the slow poke (me). Thanks for the tip and hope you continue making these videos!
Very few shooters has to wait on me loading. I'm usually waiting on the others which I don't mind. When I shoot 75-80 or more times in an afternoon, I won't use those tight balls. Too much work to load, especially using the gun's ramrod. If you're noticed, I'm one of the few that uses the tools that comes with the gun. I don't like carrying steel or brass long rods in the field with me. Carrying 2 cameras, a gun, a pouch & steel targets is enough. Thanks for watching....I plan on making more fun videos.

Since I'm half blind and have an eye dominance problem, I shoot for fun. I'm in this hobby for the fun, not too worried about being a dead accurate shooter.
Hitting a target is just a bonus to me.

I'm a relatively younger guy, and I actually discovered I had cross dominance after a while. Quickly switched to shooting left handed to match my left eye dominance, and I found things to be much easier then shooting with my dominate hand.

Shooting lefty on a bolt action always makes people laugh when I'm awkwardly cycling it by moving my left hand up and over and it certainly makes shooting flintlocks exciting with a fireball in your face!

Would you ever consider switching eyes and seeing how it will work? I've had no issues shooting left on my flinter.

I'm a relatively younger guy, and I actually discovered I had cross dominance after a while. Quickly switched to shooting left handed to match my left eye dominance, and I found things to be much easier then shooting with my dominate hand.

Shooting lefty on a bolt action always makes people laugh when I'm awkwardly cycling it by moving my left hand up and over and it certainly makes shooting flintlocks exciting with a fireball in your face!

Would you ever consider switching eyes and seeing how it will work? I've had no issues shooting left on my flinter.
I've shot my BP guns left handed a lot lately and actually hitting the targets much more frequently. I'm not to the point of buying LH guns, but getting better at hitting something. Its pretty good feeling...LOL

I've shot my BP guns left handed a lot lately and actually hitting the targets much more frequently. I'm not to the point of buying LH guns, but getting better at hitting something. Its pretty good feeling...LOL

I'll probably never buy a LH gun, maybe an ambidextrous unmentionable, but I enjoy letting people fire my guns and since I can handle it both ways, I wouldn't want to shut everyone out just to make a it a little easier on myself. :)

Keep up the videos!

Very few shooters has to wait on me loading. I'm usually waiting on the others which I don't mind. When I shoot 75-80 or more times in an afternoon, I won't use those tight balls. Too much work to load, especially using the gun's ramrod. If you're noticed, I'm one of the few that uses the tools that comes with the gun. I don't like carrying steel or brass long rods in the field with me. Carrying 2 cameras, a gun, a pouch & steel targets is enough. Thanks for watching....I plan on making more fun videos.
Just curious as to how often you swab the bore between shots? Or if you do? I’ve never really shot a lot at one time, but want to shoot more per session. I’ve seen several people mention “not shoving that crud back down your barrel”. But don’t you have to swab periodically?

Back