• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

One Down, Two To Go!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got lucky this morning. Big Ol' Boy came in with a bad limp, but amorous as always. Had the decoy about 15 yards out and when he got his head behind his fan I got the gun up and ready. Stretched his head up a bit and that was it. Pedersoli 20ga SxS with 1 1/16 oz Sphero Tungston over 75 gr Goex fff did the trick. Probably the longest beard I have ever collected, no doubt because of his limp. Turns out someone had put a pellet gun pellet in his knee cap, it was healed over but arthritic as heck, must have been painful.

IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0724.jpg
IMG_0725.jpg

Thanks so much for the kind regards Gentlemen.

Sparkitoff, the Pedersoli lists the max load at 1 oz shot over 70 gr FFF so I was tipping the can a bit, but then turkey hunting doesn't usually involve a lot of shooting. The Sphero Tungston 18 I used is 40% heavier than magnum grade lead. It only comes in #9 and #7 shot size, I used #7. The 1 1/16 oz fills a very small volume but the small size keeps the pellet count up. It patterns pretty well for me, but it is way hard so a barrel protector should be used. Way expensive though. But out here in "no lead" California....

TH, that's a fine job you did on that old tom. I have had the Pedersoli side-by-sides in 10,12 and 20, and the unchoked 20 gave me the most consistent patterns for some reason. Miss that gun.

Well thanks Bill. I have a 10 and a 12 also, but the 20 has become my favorite too. Where in Oregon are you at? My oldest lives in Salem. He went up there to go to Willamette University 15 years ago and stayed on after graduating.

TH, that's a fine job you did on that old tom. I have had the Pedersoli side-by-sides in 10,12 and 20, and the unchoked 20 gave me the most consistent patterns for some reason. Miss that gun.
Funny you say this. I prefer my 20g, actually .63" over any 12g or my Bess. I have pondered it often and am convinced that the lower bore pressure of larger bores slows the burn and results in still burning or highish pressure and gas volume at the muzzle. I think with smaller bores the higher breach pressure gets the powder better consumed and or earlier.....it's all just my hunches I know but my 20g and the .45 seem to get good strong velocity and decent patterns all the time but I dunno...the larger bores seem like blunderbuss compared.

Back