• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Blanket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonredbeard

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are some blankets that might interest you. They are hand woven over in the east in the tropics. They are approximately six feet by nine feet and about three sixteenth thick. All wool. A man could survive in one of these under some tough conditions. They cost from about $385 to $500 usd. Pricey, I know. But the little old ladies in the jungle need to be paid right. They told me it takes a month to complete one of these.

tapate003.jpg

enjoy
volatpluvia

If I was there and had the money, I would certainly help them out by purchasing one (especially if it was plain or in a color that I could use for living history). Even so, those look like excellent products.

Whenever I see my family in San Antonio, we always go to the Mexican market down town. I never saw any hand-woven wool blankets to my knowledge, but I have found some great woven wool that was of perfect thickness and weave for leggings and other items.

Nice, but(OUCH) with my retirement income, it's surplus Army blankets! Just use three instead of one on a cold night :grin:

I use an old 4 stripe that was found in a barn, stains, discolored and all. In cold weather I use this
T1018.jpg

nice fuzzy buffalo robe, 5.5'x6' works too good most of the time, we ate the rest of it and had Lietzau Taxidermy do the tanning. Came out wonderful. Highly recommend anyone to go shoot yerself a buffalo and do the same.
(Lietzau Taxidermy, Cosmos Mn. P#320-877-7297)

Any idea why they make them that long? I'm supposing that they make them to be doubled over when it gets real nasty out but nine feet isn't really long enough for that either. Just wondering if you had any insight.

Muskeg Stomper said:
Any idea why they make them that long? I'm supposing that they make them to be doubled over when it gets real nasty out but nine feet isn't really long enough for that either. Just wondering if you had any insight.

You fold them in half lengthwise and then fold up 2-3 feet on the bottom. This gives you more layers over your feet to keep them warm.

Nothing like a wool blanket or three during those freezing nights to keep you warm! I have two buffalo robes from critters I took years ago and their warm, BUT heavy and draw humidity and ground moisture badly. I found out that if you use an over-sized waterproofed canvas like an envelope with your blankets inside is about all one need to keep toasty warm!....JMHO

Rick

I'll opt for a 200 pound Newfoundland Retriever. They'll always love you, and they'll keep you plenty warm on the coldest of nights!

PS: Don't pay attention to their drool!

Its called a blanket bag and yes they are great.
we have a shoot in february in Michigan and I wouldn't go unless I took my blanket bag.
check with Four Seasons Tentmaster, you won't be sorry you got one. :thumbsup:

hack said:
Its called a blanket bag and yes they are great.
we have a shoot in february in Michigan and I wouldn't go unless I took my blanket bag.
check with Four Seasons Tentmaster, you won't be sorry you got one. :thumbsup:

Along the same lines, anyone use or see a French Knapsack? canvas or linen bag approx 32x50 with a belt in the middle to carry trumpline style. Very intriging and the same concept.

I kind of lucked out twice. The first time when we moved to our current home 11 years ago. The movers left a heavy wool moving blanket. I've since cut a foot off the bottom and made a possibles bag from it. The rest of the blanket I use.

The secon luck out was at a yard sale about 8 years ago. Saw this old dirty nasty wool blanket, the woman wanted 5 bucks. My wife thought I was nuts as I put it in a big plastic bag to put in the trunk.

Washed it in the washer and air dryed it. Then showed her the 4 tick marks and pulled up Whitney blankets on the net. I got a great deal.

Latest posts

Back