On this day in 1864

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Very few articles about this battle don't use the term ''suicidal". It's always brought up how the South lost 6 generals at this battle.Did the Yankees lose any as well?

Reaction score
i stood in the midst of thousands of little white crosses marked "unknown" at Gettysburg one day and cried like a lost child. looked about me and there were maybe 5 others there with me. all were wet faced.
went to the Wall. cried like a child. looked about. all i could see were wet faced. have never hurt inside like i did at those two places.

Red Owl

40 Cal
Reaction score
Very interesting, I have not heard of the battle before. I still think the confederates used wrong tactics in the respect they couldn't afford to lose troops. Also, the Fed's were dug in on the defensive.
Maybe let the federals into a city, such as Atlanta and then lay siege and stave them out.

Reaction score
Maybe let the federals into a city, such as Atlanta and then lay siege and stave them out.
I am sure if they had used a little of the process we use today in staff work. like Initial planning of the battlefield environment IPOE, they could come up with some better ideas for battle..?
As a today warrior, one can indeed learn a great deal from history.....!

APG

40 Cal
Reaction score
The amount of men that faced each other at this and all the other engagements is mind boggling. The losses were terrible.

Eutycus

69 Cal.
Reaction score
What a waste!! The one resource that is wasted is the human kind, the others are renewable.Notice I said "is" instead of "was".All wars a pretty much a waste.Even the future ones. Aren't you glad tactics changed?

Reaction score
Horrendous losses considering the battle lasted for roughly five hours with most casualties occurring within the first couple of hours and before the sun was fully set.

Prior to the assault, Gen. Forrest, the famous cavalry commander, galloped up to Gen. Hood and requested a brigade of infantry. It seems Forrest had located a place where he could ford the Harpeth River, flank the Union forces and cut off their means of retreat. Hood steadfastly refused saying he had already made up his mind and that the frontal assault is what he was going to do. It's recorded that Forrest then gave Hood a pretty good cursing and then turned and rode off back to his troopers.

Red Owl

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well Napoleon might have had success with a frontal assault but the more I study on the matter the more I am convinced that the chances of success are slim. Forest should have been listened to, he seemed to have grasp the essentials of what actually worked.

Reaction score
They say this assault rivaled Pickett's Charge at Gettysburg.Actually I think it was even bigger but like Pickett's this one failed too. Frontal assaults were just a terrible waste of human life.
Unfortunately the English did learn that lesson when they sent massive frontal assaults against fortified machine gun nests in 1914.

Latest posts