• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

on the "Information Highway?"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riarcher

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking to find some information on the use of Bess' and other muskets of a non-military nature.
Like in exploration, hunting, etc. (anything other than people killers :( ).
Figure they must of been used for other things besides war.
Very difficult to find any mention at all. (or am I just looking in the wrong places again?)

The Last Adirondack Mammoth F & I War Fiction
fwh_mammoth.jpg

http://www.mohicanpress.com/snowshoes_battle.html

:applause: ::
Veeerrrry interesting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Musketman,
Just finished my "ordering" from Dixie & TOW for most of the "necessities" of Bess! ::
Only thing missing,,, is the Bess. :curse:
Tried calling Heritage Fri afternoon and as predicted, it's tough getting through.
Looks like Wend. afternoon before I get a shot at them again (unless I "cheat" and call during work :no:).
Never works out when your excited about a project, I went around locally and tried to see what's available for the .75 and all I got was laughted at! :curse:
Found only 1 that still carries BP and all they had was Fg & FFFFg :boohoo: They say they're expecting more next month ( :bull:). Danged In-lines are ruining everything ( :: ) Seems everyone around here is into Triple-7, even Pyrodex is getting scarce :shocking: . Talk about feeling "antiqued". 1 of the shops havn't heard anyone "asking about flints in years." Looks like a ride in the new truck to Kitteridge Trading Post in Maine is in the program. (Now how do I tell the wife I'll be out of town for the day,,,?)
See what you and Daryl started! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Gary
PS; anyone have a spare cap for a pick-up? I may need it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Pyrodex and Trile 7 is all that's carreid locally here due to it being impossible to ship BP in Bitish Columbia. I just had a powder dealer in the lower mainland of B.C. tell me he could get BP for me, but couldn't ship it. I live 500 miles North of him.- Bummer.
: For me, looks like the French 1728 .69 or the .75 Sea Service is a bit more time off. Just had some vehicle repains set me back another month on my order & I have to come up with another $500. for airfare to Ontario in June.
Daryl

Umm archer if you do run up to Kittery please let me know before you go, I could use a couple of cans powder myself. ::

Swamp Rat,
I've a little 3Fg left. The guy (gal) in Westerly said they'd have more coming in in May. Expect to recieve around early May on the Bess, so I maybe saved ( ::). If not, I've one other possible source, D&L in Warwick. If I make the trip I'l let you know. Maybe you'd like a trip?
Gary

Hmm I'm told there is a newish place here in NK off Post rd that is said to carry BP, I have no idea but will look into that further. Hate having to travel for powder, can I'm workin on now came from Kittery.

SR, you find out, let me know,,,, okay?
Had a goooooood day today. Went to the "End Zone" for lunch and hit KENO for 2/3 of the price of the Bess! :applause:
(May not need the cap for the pick-up,,,,,,, right away. ::

Daryl, I feel your pain about the unexpected costs involved in life as I too have had some :curse:, oh well we are starting to get the overtime again. I figure that working 7 days a week with Sunday being double time pay the Bess I keep dreaming about should be at my house by June 1st ::, but working 7 days a week don't leave alot of time for musket shooting :curse:. Thankfully things in my line of work start to slow down for that early deer season ::. I found a public preserve here in Kansas that allows only archery and muzzleloaders on their grounds ::. I have been there and seen some nice FAT does that would make delicious steaks, jerky, burger, sausage, shoes, and maybe some pants. ::

Like in exploration, hunting, etc. (anything other than people killers ).

I've never shot anybody with mine. ::

This from PA Longrifles:

Colonial Musket

The colonial musket was essentially of two types: those more or less following the English Brown Bess tradition in style, and those following the French pattern of musket. The English Brown Bess musket was most likely the pattern for gunsmiths in the American colonies as these colonials had been chartered by England and mainly populated by English settlers. In point of fact, the musket used by our forefathers during the Revolutionary War was of both types. Stolen or "appropriated" Brown Bess muskets, muskets manufactured by local gunsmiths in the Brown Bess pattern, and muskets bought or donated to the revolutionaries by France in the French musket tradition. The main differences were in calibre and method of fastening the barrel to the stock. The Brown Bess was of .75 calibre (yes that is 3/4 of an inch in diameter of lead coming your way!) and its barrel was fastened to the stock with pins through lugs on the bottom of the barrel. The French musket was of .69 calibre and its barrel was fastened to the stock with iron bands around barrel and stock much like a barrel is held together. Aside from these differences, there were differences in outward profile, and in type of lock. Both were of course flintlocks, but the Brown Bess used a large lock which was rather rounded in contour and the French lock was flatter and a bit smaller. Stocks were always of walnut (English walnut in the case of the English and French walnut in the case of the French of course for you woodworking types!!!) In early years the stocks were either painted black or stained with tar. In later years they were stained brown, hence the name "Brown Bess". Government issued muskets had the arrowhead stamp on the stock and the crown on the lock in the case of the Brown Bess.

The key above is "Stolen or appropriated." A musket was just too good a trophy to pass up. I'll see if I can find any proof later, but intuitavely (that's persona talk for "wild or convenient speculation") some of the muskets from fallen or captured British troops would have found their way into civilian hands after thye war (after having been used by colonial troops during the war who were despirate for any high-tech front-line assault type firearms like the Bess). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Many of you are too young to remember the cheap, high quality "army surplus" guns that were once available in this country. The Brown Bess and French Charliville muskets were just that in their day,"army surplus". They were the mainstay of frontier survival, with the more expensive "rifles" taking a distant second place in total numbers. Every one between 15 and 50 was subject to militia duty and had to provide their own musket, by law in most states. The standard arm was either British or French pattern musket, therefore, by law, every able bodied male HAD TO OWN A MUSKET.
The US government adopted the French pattern musket as standard issue for our troops. It was these French pattern muskets that went up the Misouri with Lewis and Clark (the rifles get more publicity, but they had muskets too!). Any military expidition would have had at least a few muskets in the inventory, and there were a bunch of them hanging over the cabin doors.

Back