• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OMG Percussion caps at my local Gun Store

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought some recently at Sportsman’s for $5.99 a tin, one per customer.
If you really need a few cans you can buy one, go put it in your truck, go back in, get another and go to a different checkout line. Repeat as often as you can. And pay cash.

I’ve 700 cci on hand and 4/500 punched out awaiting to be loaded and sealed. Only place local with 11’s is Dunhams at $11.99 a tin. Sportsman Warehouse has 10’s, no 11’s for over a year.

Wal-Marts in the immediate Philly area have no such products. Does anyone know if Wally's in Chester or Lancaster counties carry such? Any hints or ideas?

The Hamburg PA Cabelas had a few lonely tins of CCI #10 hanging up

I bought a tin of CCI Musket Caps since my Enfields work with them , I have no need for any more CCI #10

If memory serves me I was paying $.60 a box for Remington caps and $1.60 a pound for DuPont powder in 1960. But then I remember that I was making $1.00 per hour then, so things may not really be that much more expensive now.
And in 1960, I was 4 years old, woke up Christmas morning and had a Mattel Fanner 50 Shootin Shell revolver under the tree, with plenty of caps and those gray snap-on bullets. I sure am glad there wasn't a cap shortage then. I was so small that my Dad had to punch some extra holes in the leather belt.

$1 in 1960 is equivalent to $10 in today’s world. A buck bought a little more than today due to price increases, greed and inflation. Still, the cost of living back then was manageable compared to today’s insane pricing index.

There are a lot more things to buy now.
Health insurance was much cheaper in 1960 because they could not treat as many life-threatening things as now. If you were in pretty bad shape, you just died. No pacemakers, no organ transplants, etc., so premiums were less.

If memory serves me I was paying $.60 a box for Remington caps and $1.60 a pound for DuPont powder in 1960. But then I remember that I was making $1.00 per hour then, so things may not really be that much more expensive now.
you were making a dollar and hour cause you were at a low entry job

There are a lot more things to buy now.
Health insurance was much cheaper in 1960 because they could not treat as many life-threatening things as now. If you were in pretty bad shape, you just died. No pacemakers, no organ transplants, etc., so premiums were less.
And what is wrong with that?

I guess I'm in the hoarder category.
Over the last few years, every time I saw # 11 caps, I would buy several tins.
Back in August, the 3 different Walmart stores in my area had caps on the shelves. I bought 1200 in total.
Checking my inventory recently, I discovered that I currently have just over 4,000 caps.
I don't think I need anymore at this point.
When one person buys up so much of a scarce product you ARE a hoarder and selfish.

Being in NJ surprises me that caps are even on the shelf.
I picked up a bunch from local Walmarts recently in my area. I found 49 or so tins of CCI's.
Bought them all.
Before I get accused of hoarding, I shoot 100's of caps every month thru my 4 different percussion guns for video projects.
I have already given 2 tins away to a friend in Indiana, 2 tins to a friend at church that shoots occasionally and several other tins to shooters here and there getting started in the hobby that can't find them.
I want them to get started in the hobby somehow.
Mark, that is a noble gesture of you to do!!

My last look I had 4000 between #10 rem and CCI #11. The Sportsman’s Shop in Morgantown Pa. Has CCI #11 from what I am told for anyone in that area. The Walmarts that are in this area have never had caps as far as I remember though.

Back