• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

OMG Percussion caps at my local Gun Store

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duca

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I cant believe it! Walked into my local Gun store and there they where, a whole rack of them. Like I struck GOLD...I shoot Flint mostly so bought 3 packs. about 10 left. just wanted to give everybody a heads up maybe thing are getting a little better.

Anthony

I hear ya You Maniac! I thought about buying them all but figured someone else might need them. I’m gonna go back in a day or so to see if they’re moving, for the record I’m in Hamilton, NJ.

Every time I walk into a local store that normally carries them I have looked. I have not seen any on the shelf for a good two years now.
I just opened a new tin, so I have one just opened and one more spare left. Getting a bit tight. Hoping they show up here real soon.

I live where CCI/Speer is located. Just ran into their President a few weeks ago at a local restaurant. After greeting each other the first thing I told him was that he was going to have a bunch of old guys that smell like sulphur and rancid grease pretty cranky with him if he didn't triple production of #11 caps.
He just laughed, I don't think my comment helped much.

I hear ya You Maniac! I thought about buying them all but figured someone else might need them. I’m gonna go back in a day or so to see if they’re moving, for the record I’m in Hamilton, NJ.
Being in NJ surprises me that caps are even on the shelf.
I picked up a bunch from local Walmarts recently in my area. I found 49 or so tins of CCI's.
Bought them all.
Before I get accused of hoarding, I shoot 100's of caps every month thru my 4 different percussion guns for video projects.
I have already given 2 tins away to a friend in Indiana, 2 tins to a friend at church that shoots occasionally and several other tins to shooters here and there getting started in the hobby that can't find them.
I want them to get started in the hobby somehow.

Ye I was also surprised when I saw caps put to sell too. Bass Pro and Cabelas only had about ten tins out when went there a couple of weeks ago. Some #10s and #11s too. Scheels had like 30-40 tins out for sale.

Of course no one had musket caps out yet. I looked online and the caps had a hazardous shipping surcharge too which sort of killed my enthusiasm for them then.

Just purchased a Roughrider .22 revolver on sale in Academy and noticed they have lots of CCI 11 caps on two racks at $9.99 a tin. Didn’t buy any cause I’m well stocked. I was there last month and they had plenty so looks like they are keeping up the stock.

If memory serves me I was paying $.60 a box for Remington caps and $1.60 a pound for DuPont powder in 1960. But then I remember that I was making $1.00 per hour then, so things may not really be that much more expensive now.
$1 in 1960 is equivalent to $10 in today’s world. A buck bought a little more than today due to price increases, greed and inflation. Still, the cost of living back then was manageable compared to today’s insane pricing index.

$1 in 1960 is equivalent to $10 in today’s world. A buck bought a little more than today due to price increases, greed and inflation. Still, the cost of living back then was manageable compared to today’s insane pricing index.
Very true. And there are so many more things that people spend money on now that didn’t exist when we were coming up. Cell phones, cable & satellite tv, movies, internet. All those monthly payments add up. And now most folks think they need 2, 3, or 4 of everything. Insurance and medical cost have certainly risen above the normal inflation rate. The only thing that one needs multiples of are tools and muzzleloaders. ;)

I guess I'm in the hoarder category.
Over the last few years, every time I saw # 11 caps, I would buy several tins.
Back in August, the 3 different Walmart stores in my area had caps on the shelves. I bought 1200 in total.
Checking my inventory recently, I discovered that I currently have just over 4,000 caps.
I don't think I need anymore at this point.

Latest posts

Back