• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

OMG Percussion caps at my local Gun Store

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, if you just want to shoot for some recreation and fun, you can probably find everything you need at a box sporting goods store.....at least some kind of BP sub, caps that will fit a #11 or musket nipple, and lead round balls and patches in common sizes.

You may not find exactly what you want or need but within a 30 minute radius of me I can assemble everything I would need to at least fire a .44 percussion revolver or a .50 or .54 percussion rifle.

I even have the nipples that fit red toy caps for my Pietta revolvers that I haven't had time to play with yet

Technically, if you just want to shoot for some recreation and fun, you can probably find everything you need at a box sporting goods store.....at least some kind of BP sub, caps that will fit a #11 or musket nipple, and lead round balls and patches in common sizes.

You may not find exactly what you want or need but within a 30 minute radius of me I can assemble everything I would need to at least fire a .44 percussion revolver or a .50 or .54 percussion rifle.

I even have the nipples that fit red toy caps for my Pietta revolvers that I haven't had time to play with yet

Not sure where you live, but within 1-2 hours of us for BP anything, you find diddlysquat. Fully automatic unmentionables available and on local ranges routinely.

Going through my small cache of very old percussion caps, I've found variance in sizes. Italian, German, US, and English. I.E., some of the same diameter are varied in length. Perhaps some intended for shorter nipples used in pistols? Labels vary - always finding myself opening the tins to have a looksee what's inside. Problem arises when I want to shoot a particular gun, open a tin, and the cap's too long, too loose, or too small.

At least I have some. Better off than the guy starting out with everything except caps. We can make flints. Without the proper kit, uh, nope.

Blackpowder supplies are usually tied to more rural areas that have a lot of hunting during Muzzleloading Season, but not always

Far fewer people are like us and are looking for real Black, or percussion caps, or 1" Musket flints . They're more interested in hoarding .22 LR. Like the sketchy kid I saw at Cabelas trying to buy an AR15 with a photo copy of his drivers license and the clerk wanted nothing to do with it.....this kid was hot on buying a rifle. I didn't see him checking out the flintlock Pedersoli Hawken or BP revolvers he could have just purchased over the counter......

Like most of my gun friends say "nobody wants to mess with that manure" when they ask me about shooting blackpowder firearms....I'm like well yes you have to be into it......like anything else

Back