• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olive oil?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to lube after cleaning with only olive oil, and as a patch lube as well. Both worked fine, but have since found mink oil for my hunting patch lube and moose milk for my shooting patch lube. I found olive oil required swabbing between shots. I have also started lubing after cleaning with modern gun oils. Have not settled on one yet.
Walk
I used olive oil with and without beeswax as a protectant, a patch lube and cleaner. I’ve used jojoba oil in similar fashion and have never had any rust or other problems. I live in the high desert so relative humidity is very low here, in summer you can leave guns uncleaned for days without issue. I don’t but you could.

Gents, is this 50-50 mix of olive oil with beeswax recommended for the half inch cushion wads for shot loads? Also, is this something kept in a tin or is it too soft for that. I wondered if it could be poured into an old flip lid tin to keep in my shooting bag. I used paste lubes for my 50, but I do have access to bee's wax so this could be a good option for me.

I vary the mix depending on the application, or the temp. I the winter, more olive oil to keep it usable. I lube my cushion wads with a mix that clings and doesn't flake off. I dip them in a tin of melted mixture, set them on wax paper to cool. I keep them in a leather bag in my possible pouch. I always keep a tin of lube for over powder wads, patches and stuff. The consistency of a stiff balm is the best. if it is too waxy, cut a piece out and add more oil when melting.

I played with lubes in the beginning and settled on straight olive for patch and wad lube, it's simple and works, exactly what I wanted.

Latest posts

Back