• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older TC percussion lock no half-cock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've recently gotten a friend in to black powder shooting and hunting. He was gifted an older TC Hawken 50 caliber today. It is in nice condition overall. The lock does not stay in half-cock. It will full cock and it will set with the set trigger and fire with the front, or just fire with the front. What do I look for to address the half-cock?

I've been able to answer my own question. There's a little pointy piece that pivots. I think its the fly. It was sezied up and no rotating fully. So it blocked the bar from engaging the half-cock notch. I used some penetrating oil and worked the part for a while. It began to move freely and now directs the bar into the half-cock notch, and into the full cock notch when the hammer is all the way back.

Yup, ya gotta lube that lock. That oil in there get's gummy, gotta fresh it up,,
Those T/C bridle screws need to be really tight too.
If they're a tiny bit loose, that fly will tip out a fraction and jam the hammer just short of contact with the cap.
Most folks start wondering why they get so many mis-fires,, it comes that close before it jamms.

Back