• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older Lancaster Style Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
This older style Lancaster County rifle is the third rifle I built.
As you know, I use the term "built" somewhat loosely because it is made from a purchased roughed out stock and all of the parts are bought.
The Lancaster School used the straight comb which is common on modern rifles so it appeals to modern shooters.
The things which I feel differentiate the "older" rifles were swamped barrels, wide butt plates, larger trigger guards with the aft branch standing well off of the stock and very simple patch boxes.
Due to the high cost of swamped barrels, this rifle uses a .50 caliber 7/8 inch straight octagon Green Mountain barrel, Siler lock and Davis triggers.
The stock is #3 curly Maple with water base Maple stain and Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil finish.
This was my first attempt at wire inlays and relief carving.
olanrs.jpg

olanls.jpg

olanlb.jpg

That is a beautiful rifle and I really like the finish. I use water base red walnut crystals on my maple stocks but your finish has much more appeal. Outstanding!!!!!

Ya, Ah built her in one o ma "plain" yars so she didn't get many do-dads. Fact is she only has 5 (2 ovals, a star, the moon and a thumb oval).
Whan Ah built her Ah was jus a buildin up the curage ta put in the fancy stuff.
It do take some curage to tell yerself "Ah ain't a gonna screw up this $150 chunk o wood" "It will turn out OK." Course Ah will admit some o the curage Ah got from buildin her got a little out o hand on some o ma later guns but Ah will tell ye somethin. People give ma plain guns a quick glance and walk on. Ah'v had people go way out o thar way ta walk over an take a look at the fancy ones. It do make a feller feel that at least somethin they has done in thar life is of interest ta others.

As fer my showin some o these guns what I really want is for someone ta say: "By golly, if he can do that, I can do that! He ain't some professinal gun maker with lots o trainin or anythin!" and then to have them go out an do it.
When thar done they will stand back an look at their gun an say "I don't believe it but I actually built that and it's beautiful! I never thought in my wildest dreams I would own something like that and now, I actually built it! And it's mine!!!"

Zonie, I do appreciate your posting this gun and your hope that it will inspire someone else to try. IT HAS. I have been hunting and loving rifles most of my life. I started muzzleloading two years ago and was bit hard by the smell of smoke. After talking with other muzzleloaders, I decided I wanted a longrifle. I figured to buy one. It was easier than building. But then the price got in the way. After much research, I hooked up with a local guy to show me how to build my first longrifle. Just started last week. I was overwhelmed by what everybody else has done,that I almost didn't get started. Thanks again for the encouragement. By the way, my mentor commented about the gleam in my eyes as we started that it brought back memories of when he got started years ago.
Zman :D

Your getting started building your gun? That is Great!!
I know that when you finely finish it, you will be pleased with it and yourself more than I can describe.
The only caution I can make is "Beware The Bug!"
Once bitten you can never turn back.

It often takes a while to develop, but one day you will be sitting there and all at once your brain will say: "The next one is going to be......". ::

zonie you gave me the bug :cry: ....see....

195980.jpg

now i can't stop....but i'm haveing fun tho.................bob

Bob, is that a .75 caliber ball block I see on your table?
:winking: :winking:

Already bitten. :winking: The second one will be a J.P. Beck to be presented to my father-in-law on Father's day. The third one is still undecided. Either something for one of my two daughter unless they both want one. Other possibility is a longrifle made from cherry wood with silver inlays. I do like the shine on your guns rather than a dull finish. The other thing that I notice is that I am starting to see more than just a gun. I notice the carvings, engravings, inlays, and other details now that I am building not just shooting. All of a sudden the future is looking good. All I have to do is work some more OT so I can afford my hobbies. Thanks again for the inspiration.
Zman
Incidentally, after reading your previous posting I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say this time. Quit using proper English if you don't have to. :D :D :D

Back