• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olde Eynsford

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Need some help. I'm going to be shooting Olde Eynsford for the first time out of my T/C .50-cal. Renegade in a few weeks. I've finally exhausted all the Goex ffg I accumulated over 30-plus years as a Civil War re-enactor, when they used to give you a pound of the stuff when you were one of the first to sign up for a CW event. I got a LOT of free powder over the years. Anyway, I'm wondering, since I've been having excellent PRB groupings at 50 yds. with the Goex, should I expect anything different with the Olde Eynsford (other than a little less fouling?
I'm hoping it is comparable.
Anyone have an opinion or much experience with burning it?
I'd appreciate any comments. I've read a few reviews, but they are kind of spotty in this area.

339p08n.jpg

I haven't shot Olde Eynsford but I have shot quite a bit of Swiss.

Like Swiss, Olde Eynsford is a "sporting powder" or put into plain english, it is more powerful than GOEX.

About the only change I had to make from the GOEX is to reduce the powder charge about 10 grains for the Swiss.

I suggest you try using the same powder charge as you were using when you were shooting the GOEX and see what happens.
If the shots are a inch or two high, reduce the amount of powder and try again.

If you were getting good groups with Goex why are you looking to something else that’s even more expensive? Just thinking. Maybe I need to try it. Dunno?

Hadn't spent my own money on Goex for over 30 years, so it's not much of a stretch to go to the OE. I just wanted to try something different, for different sake.
I'm an experimenter, to my own detriment sometimes. :idunno:

I'm an "experimenter" myself although I've never tried Olde Eynsford. After you've gone through a pound or so, drop back in here, and let us all know what you learn. :hatsoff:

SgtMaj said:

SgtMaj
I got a question about your sight,Is that a Lyman 57 sight?
If it is, where did you get the adjustment knobs?
that would make the adjustment easier then the screws.
Thanks
Jim

I’m not sure how the weight differs but the velocities seems close enough between Schuetzen and standard Goex. I’m assuming the density is similar. According to the testing done by another on another forum he found his 30 grn measure averaged 28.2 grns when filled with 3F Schuetzen (Grafs). With Olde Eynsford it weighed 23.8 grns, which was similar to the weight of Swiss (24.4 grns). So here we see that the same 30 grn volume charge will give more shots per pound (248.2 for Schuetzen vs 294.1 for Olde E), but then that’s also when using the same volume and not reducing the charge to achieve the same results.

Grafs sells standard Goex for $18.59/lb and Olde E by Goex for $20.79/lb. But when you compare these 30 grn loads and see what you are paying per shot you’ll see that standard Goex costs $0.075/per shot whereas Olde E cost $0.071/per shot. Therefor standard Goex is actually more costly in the long run, especially if you are reducing your charges to be more like standard Goex.

I've shot several pounds of Old Eynsford with good results. The 2f works best for me in any caliber over 36.

I use about 10% less than Goex. Burns cleaner and is more accurate in my .48 cal. Chunk gun.

Sorry to have to review the math.

The measure that throws 28.2 grains of GOEX will dole out 248 charges of 3f GOEX.

The same 30 grain setting of Old Eynsford that weighs 23.8 throws 294 measures of powder.

Using Swiss, that 30 grain measure throws 287 charges.

dninn6.jpg

vwydt2.jpg

It's a Williams FP-Hawken peep sight, from Williams Gunsight Co.
You can get it with or without the knobs (knob option is about $11 extra) and the knobs make it really nice for fine adjustment.
Have only used the peep twice, but so far, it's worked out really nice.
You can get different screw-in peep apertures, for both hunting or for range targets. Very well-made sight. I'm thinking you can get knobs for the Lyman, but I can't say to a certainty. I seriously looked at the Lyman, but thought I might have to alter more things on my Renegade. I ended up having to file a bit of wood away on the left side of the tang to fit the Williams, but not much, and after I fine sanded it a bit, and added some Old English, it looks fine.
https://williamsgunsight.com/produ...ights-open-sights-tompson-center-muzzleloader/

Last edited by a moderator:
I will. I'm anxious for this darned windy weather to settle down. It's been blowing either north or south every day in the 15-25 mph range, so getting out to shoot targets has been frustrating. Can't wait to see how the Olde E works myself. I've always had good luck with Goex ffg, even if it fouls a bit more than others. I just swab between shots. I shot Pyrodex one time long, long, long ago, and that was enough. I'm a Goex shooter through and through. :thumbsup:

Yes, which comes to $0.087/per shot as the pound costs $24.99 from them.

Swiss also barely does better than Olde E. Were the Swiss charge brought down to the performance level of standard Goex the cost per shot may well be about the same. It figures to something like a 21 grn weighed charge to equal the 28.2 grn charge of Goex to break even on cost per shot ($0.075). I’d venture to guess it would take more than a reduction of 3.4 grns to achieve the same velocity.

Did a search and found the target knob at Brownell's for the Lyman and got them ordered, thanks for the info.
Jim

I've never burned Swiss or OE so can't comment on them. I have shot Dupont, G-O (I think it was), Elephant, Goex and Jack's Battle Powder. All did well as far as I was able to tell. Goex is certainly cheaper, as are most other powders, when bought in 5lb, 10lb and especially 25lb cases. Just me, but if I find a good load, I tend not to continue with other powders.

Certainly understood, especially for match shooters. It takes a lot of time and trials to figure something worthwhile out.

But then again I can also see trying a pound with what you’ve found to work and seeing if you find an improvement, especially if you are a match shooter. Just never know I suppose.

Back