• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Olde Eynsford Compared to Goex and Swiss

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herb

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I talked with Craig Kirkland, owner of Bear River Powder, Evanston, Wyoming, at the Fort Bridger Rendezvous. He said Olde Eynsford did not sell much, and that the only caliber he had got OE 3F to group well in was a .38 caliber black powder cartridge, I forget what it was. I have not been able to make it group well in anything I've tried it in, but it surely will if someone works with it. But OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F are wonderful powders. Here is a comparison of 100 grains of weight-corrected measured charges of six powders I did in my .50 antelope rifle. It has a .50 Rice 32" Jaeger barrel I made into a fullstocked caplock Hawken. That is a Pecatonica stock that I gave the aged look of Jim Bridger's rifle. You can read the targets, enlarge them by holding down Control and hit the plus sign. Shot over my Oehler 35P chronograph.

From many other targets I've shot with these powders, I know OE 2F and OE 1 1/2F group about the same. I disregarded the high shot with the OE 2F and shot it for group and drop at 100 yards compared to Goex 2F. I chose the OE 2F over the OE 1 1/2F because I figured the .50 should have the "faster" powder.
It hit higher because of a higher impact at 50 yards and higher velocity. The Goex 2F first shot from the clean barrel was low in the group, which is normal. I chose the OE 2F as my hunting load. After some field shooting, I dropped the charge to 90 grains for sighting reasons.

Here is 90 grains of OE 1 1/2F at 100 yards (lower right), second group (above it)with my sight hold over.

Here is the rear sight. For 50 or 100 yards I hold the top of the front sight in the middle of the rear hole. Holding the top of the blade at the top of the hole gives 3.5" more holdover at 100 yards. You can read the hunting story in The Hunting Journal, "A Utah Pronghorn Hunt".

In summary, Olde Eynsford 2F and 1 1/2F are wonderful powders, with little difference between them.

Here is my bench and range. Using my long-range sighting, I hit a gallon milk jug at that refrigerator (!) some mentally challenged person hauled up into the middle of that hillside. 200 yards is about that biggest round juniper at the top of the hill.

Yes, a Rice Jaeger barrel. I needed a light weight rifle.

I think it looks svelte! Maybe not just like Jake & Sam did, but looks classy! :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back